Best iPhoto alternative?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wiz329, Jun 20, 2013.

1. wiz329 macrumors 6502a

My iPhoto library is simply unuseable. It freezes all of the time when clicking, scrolling etc. My library is a moderate size of about 60GB, and I have 4GB of RAM and a mid-2009 13" MBP. A little underpowered I'll admit, so I'd expect the occasional stutter and freeze, but nothing like this. I've tried numerous solutions, including rebuilding the library etc.

Are there any other stripped down alternatives that are actually usable? Any experience with Lightroom? I don't need anything too high powered (just basic editing), and something that will actually working without getting bloated and freezing constantly.

2. mikepro macrumors 6502

Aperture seems the most likely, and easiest for you to switch to. It can easily help you split that library up into smaller chunks, or work with referenced files.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I agree with mikepro, start with Aperture. You can continue to use iPhoto while you learn Aperture since they use the same library. Aperture is cheaper than Lightroom. And with Lightroom you would have some work to convert your iPhoto library for Lightroom. For the record, I happen to use Lightroom as it is better for my needs. However, in your circumstances, I think Aperture is the way to go.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Get Aperture. It can directly access your iPhoto library and it has a great option to speed things up.

You can tell Aperture to display pre-rendered "preview" images. his is also called "yellow border" mode. In this mode Aperture does not have to read alll the huge RAW files as you scroll. it makes most work much faster. Then tun it off for edits. You can select the size of the preview. If you make them tiny it is very fast if you make them larger they look better. You pick what you want and you can change it later (at the cost of a few hours of background processing to regenerate then all.)

But really with the cost of RAM why not upgrade to a full 16GB? Any software that has to scroll thrugh a 60GB library will have this problem and run much better with 16GB than with 4GB. At least move up to 8.

5. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

But the mod would need to upgrade his RAM to at least 8GB in order to enjoy Aperture...with 4GB no fun,

6. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

one thought

before you invest the time and $ in a new tool - have you run disk repair on your system and cleaned up all the permissions?

many years back I had similar experience with Aperture on a well-used MbP - running some regular clean up kept it working well for another year or two until I could afford to upgrade.

7. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

To the OP: I have no idea if this is the best alternative for you, but you won't lose anything by looking at what Graphic Converter can do for you. While you look at it, be aware that this application has been know for many years by the Apple user community and photographers:
    http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/start/