Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alana22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Hey all, I've tried searching the forums regarding this topic but all the threads are for people asking for lower end (sub $150) speakers. I'm looking for a speaker system/dock for my 1st gen iPod touch. I know about the Zeppelin, but what else is out there that is newer (ie from 2008) and would be a sound investment for my ipod (ie good sound, build quality, design, intelligent remote features). Price isn't really an issue but I'd like to keep it below $600 if possible.

I've heard ok things about the Bose sound dock but I think physically it looks incredibly gaudy.

Maybe a silly question, but what was the Apple HiFi like? I wasn't in the market for a speaker system back then so I never checked one out, but was the sound ok? Was there a remote? Would an iPod touch even be compatable with it?

Help! :)

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
I have the JBL On-Stage II for my ipod 4g, and ipod touch 2g and it sounds amazing. It doesn't give you the option to change playlists via remote but the sound that comes out of this little unit will amaze you. You can also use it as an ipod dock to sync as it comes w/ a dock connector port, which is how I currently use mine.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Maybe a silly question, but what was the Apple HiFi like? I wasn't in the market for a speaker system back then so I never checked one out, but was the sound ok? Was there a remote? Would an iPod touch even be compatable with it?

Neither iPod touch is compatible with the Apple HiFi.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
The Bowers & Willkins Zeppelin are fantastic speakers. I have these and the sound is awesome, fills a room and is great for parties and really looks the part. I suspect a little digging and you'll be able to find one within your price range as it's not that far off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.