Best issue of MAD Magazine ever!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know that nobody but me reads printed magazines anymore, but I've read MAD since I could read, and I'll probably die holding a MAD Magazine, killed by a fatal bout of guffawing. :eek:

Issue #488 is just hitting newsstands, and it's the funniest single issue I've ever read. :) :) :)

The cover says
    Meet our NEW STAFF!

This Entire Issue
    Written & Drawn
    by MONKEYS!
    The Table of Contents is replaced by a letter from the new Editor in Chief, Mr. Jingles, about how all writing has been outsourced to chimps, apes, gorillas, and orangutans to save money and improve quality. :D

Every part of the issue, from the Letters to the Editor (answered by monkeys) to the traditional fold-in inside the back cover to the little cartoons in the margins, has been turned into a monkey-themed version, and no bad monkey pun has been avoided. Example: They show covers of monkey-themed magazines like Rhesus Digest and U.S. Zoos and World Report.

Some of the articles:
    • TV show spoof: MONKey (the compulsive detective)
    • A MAD Look at Humans (from a monkey's point of view)
    • MOMA, the Museum of Monkey Art (famous works of art like Gorilla with a Pearl Earring)
    • Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions that humans ask monkeys
    • Items for sale on monkEYBAY
    • SPider monkeY vs. SPider monkeY
    • An ad for eHarmonkey
    • A Bananas Republic monkey-fashion catalog
    For those of you who dare to read something printed, I recommend issue #488 of MAD. If you think monkeys are funny or like corny jokes, you'll have your fill of both. :)

Don't forget to hide it inside your physics book so nobody knows you read such silly stuff! :cool:

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've always been a fan, but sadly my dad stopped the subscription a while ago. I'll have to pick up a copy at work on Friday (I work at a bookstore)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yeah, and its really funny too! I can re-read issues many times over and still laugh my ass off. (Ok, some of the stuff isnt so funny).

Not to be confused or associated with MAD TV though. The difference being, MAD magazine is funny, and MAD TV is not.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wasn't aware they still published this. I haven't read an issue since I was a teenager.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MAD Magazine even publishes a second magazine, called MAD Kids. It's for the younger set.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Ooh...I sense a trip to the bookstore in my future! Thanks for the tip!

8. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

I grew up here in Italy reading MAD, and I still have all my collection!
    :rolleyes:

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I thought you were going to go on to say that the entire magazine from that point on consisted of crudely drawn panels, horribly broken english and a general feeling that the entire thing was scrawled and thrown together by a group of monkeys, making the whole magazine essentially unreadable.

Now that would have been pretty innovative and amusing...

10. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In a way, they did that. There's an article called "How to Draw a Monkey" that shows the progression of the drawing with step-by-step instructions such as "Don't forget to add his deadly sharp monkey teeth."

But after each step the drawing is just a bunch of scribbles!

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Hmm, that sounds more along the lines of what I was picturing.

Of course, I would probably have taken it way further than what the general population would be willing to digest, so they probably knew where to draw the line :D