best itunes duplicates program to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by j2048b, Sep 28, 2011.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I just realized that my itunes was duplicating all my stuff, which sucks ass, as i have over 200 gig of music alone,

what is the best program to use to get rid of duplicates?

thanks

2. DeaconGTG macrumors member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is it duplicating entries in your iTunes library, or duplicating files on your hard drive? If the latter, uncheck the following boxes:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG
    If it's the former, in iTunes click File > Display Duplicates and make sure they're true duplicates. iTunes matches Artist and song name to determine duplicates, but they may come from different albums, one may be a live, acoustic or extended version, they may have different bit rates or duration. In some cases, it's preferable to have duplicates, such as wanting to keep albums intact. No app can make those determinations. It's safer to manually determine what is a true duplicate that you want to get rid of.

4. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i do know how to show dupes, but EVERY SONG IS NOW DUPED 3 TIMES! so it would take me a lifetime to delete all these dupes manually, and yes they are exact dupes as when i open up a folder under the artist, and look in each album, there are three of the exact same songs under each artist no matter who it is,

so is one of these three songs the actuall original, and two are the duplicate? and if i accidently delete the original will the duplicates play?

this is why i want a program, as there are so many i do not have the lifetime it would take in order to delete all the duplicates manually

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't find an app to do this, so stop looking. Instead, look at the file path of each duplicate to find out where they're located. My guess is you have 3 folders on your system where the same music is duplicated. One quick method would be to delete everything from your iTunes library, keeping the files, then add to your library only the folder that contains the music you want. Be sure to uncheck the boxes I showed you earlier before you add to the library.

6. Rolvag, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

Perhaps you could wait until the "cloud" comes online, upload your music library, backup your library, delete everything from your Mac then Download the library from the cloud.

The new library will be clean and have all original artwork and data AND be upgraded to the best music format.

Thats what I'm going to try anyway.

and yes I realize it will take some time to DL 200gigs, I have a 120gig library but I think it will be worthit to have super clean files.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so i figured it out, i had accidently clicked to add to the library when adding music, and it took all my songs from an external and put them into my itunes folder!

just went thru the folders compared to my external and deleted what had been added,

and i will look into the cloud! sounds interesting!

thanks all! and there are apps to do this, found a few on google,