Best Jailbreak programs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JetBlack7, May 26, 2011.

1. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Hi, I don't know if someone started this thread already, but I would like to know which Jailbreak programs are the best to use overall, where can they be found and how can I jailbreak my ipod touch 2G.

Thanks in advance for the support (If anyone provides it) ;)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Can anyone tell me also what are the benefits and penaltys for using the jailbreak?

4. sleeper5787 macrumors newbie

Best and easiest way to jailbreak is to go to YouTube and search for "jailbreak". The videos will show you exactly how to do it. Green poison is very easy. Checkout videos by Dinozambas2 or Tysiphonehelp.

Penalty is perhaps: freezing your phone, disabling some funtionality/app of phone, hours and hours of "fine-tuning" to make it better

Benefits: enhancing the funtionality/look/feel of your phone, huge new world of apps/add-ons/tweeks, hours and hours of "fine-tuning" to make it better

NOTE: The first question is always, "Can you get free apps?" YES... however, my advice is to use that as a trial period. If you get a free app and like it... ALWAYS buy it! Then you get free updates as they are available!
    If you don't care for the app, or it's not what author claimed, delete it.

Good luck

5. taimur4u macrumors newbie

taimur4u

I once used "jailbreakme dot com" and that worked for me on iOS 4.1.

6. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

My ipod touch is on its last firmware (3.1.3). I will try Green Poison then ;)

I ALWAYS buy my apps, never get them for free unless the author specifies it, but since it's an old ipod, my as well give it a try, I got nothing to lose :)

7. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Just jailbroke my ipod touch 3.1.3 with Spirit, have Cydia installed. Now what? Where can I get themes and ringtones and stuff? x)

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Download and install Winterboard. Winterboard stores all the themes you download. You can turn each theme off and on from using Winterboard.

The themes would be under Sections > Themes (Springboard). There's 2000 or more themes to choose from.

9. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I use WinterBoard and downloaded for example the Jordan BootLogo, but when I download stuff, I don't know how to apply them, except for themes :S Could you help me please?

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To turn on the Boot Logos you need to click on settings. Then scroll to BootLogo.

11. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Found it. Thanks man! ;)

12. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Someone care to explain the advantages and disadvantages of jailbreak please?

13. First spike macrumors newbie

I have the same question but about the Verizon iPhone 4, i am running iOS 4.2.8

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

My first thought is that this thread should go in the iPod Touch Hacks section. :rolleyes:

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is the search box in MR broken?

16. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

be nice its a newbie. better customization. different programs

17. kaifs macrumors member

No jailbreak = basic model Toyota
    Jailbroken = pimped out Lexus with endless upgrade (to a point) possibilities.

Stock iPhone = easy to get a different brand later on.
    Jailbroken= you will love it so much, probably will be an iPhonie for life.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

A jailbreak isn't that amazing, most people use the iphone stock and stay with it for life.

19. JetBlack7, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

That's how I've been using it since the 3GS came out, but I already jailbroken my ipod touch 1st gen, but am afraid to jailbreak my 3GS because I read some programs drain the crap out of the battery life, though I liked what I saw when I jailbroke my ipod. Don't know If I should do it or not, since I use an IP4 and always have my 3GS around just in case, but would make more sense to carry the 3GS around if It were jailbroken, then I had a reason to keep it with me.

Any opinions about that? Constructive ones, not troll ones please.

EDIT: These were the tools I looked up and found to be able to unlock the iphone IOS 4.3.3 (Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16; Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3; PwnageTool 4.3.3.1) they are both for tethered and untethered versions, but what does that mean? (tethered and untethered)

20. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Well, it all depends on what you want the jailbreak for. For me, being able to actually use the lockscreen for useful information (calendar, emails, txt, notifications) is a killer I couldn't be without (try Lockinfo). Another great solution is MobileNotifier, beta version 5 is infinitely better than Apple's broken solution. A third app I use constantly is SBSettings.

I don't care about themes, but the three apps above are extremely meaningful enhancements to the OS, which I'm not sure if I could be without.

I doubt that Apple will implement SBSetting soon, but it is rumoured to revamp the notification system (the author of MobilieNotifier has withdrawn from the project for unknown reasons, but he says we should expect exciting news soon). If the lockscreen is revamped as well, I might consider running a stock OS (it's a minor hassle to jailbreak every time an OS comes out).

21. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I see what your saying, and have heard about those 3 apps you wrote, I would like to jailbreak due to the possibility to customise my iPhone. Does it take too much battery, or is it a myth?

Also, which one is better? :Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16; Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3; PwnageTool 4.3.3.1?

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you know there's a whole other forum here at MacRumors that has lots of stuff you might be interested in?

> http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105