Best Java IDE?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doju, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Right now in class we're using jGRASP, which is a little old and not that elegant (it may have been in its time, but at the moment it's feeling a little old) is there a newer Java IDE I could try out?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The two Java IDEs I recommend are NetBeans and Eclipse.

If you like your IDE in pure Java, and don't mind a lack of plugins, get NetBeans. If you depend on plugins, Eclipse is better. You may also find, like me, that you need both - NetBeans handles PHP development better than Eclipse does, while Eclipse does better at Java (and Python with the PyDev plugin).

3. HapCo macrumors newbie

JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA

Hi, I'm working A's a Java developer and are using Eclipse/RAD (on Windows) daily.

I've tried Netbeans and Eclipse on Mac OSX but finally decided to buy a license for JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA (Ultimate) as I found it so much better than the two others.

They have a free community version but for J2EE you need the Ultimate version.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've cast my lot with Netbeans and have found Eclipse confusing with it's modal approach ("perspectives").

By far the best Java IDE I ever used was what I started with over a dozen years ago -- IBM Visual Age for Java. They couldn't maintain it and started the Eclipse project instead, but Visual Age for Java was a one-of-a-kind IDE. I then switched to Borland JBuilder which also went to Eclipse and then Borland died.

I use Netbeans for Qt programming as well as Java and have used it on OS X, Windows, and Linux with complete compatibility.

5. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Eclipse does the job. It's a bit buggy but it does a better job than the Google Code::Blocks and is the best i've found so far on Mac. The project management feature is very useful and clean :)

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You want TextWrangler then, a free download from the Mac App Store.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Actually if you don't want to use an IDE at all, you will be using the command line to compile, and might was well use vi or emacs to edit.

8. TurnerMan macrumors member

TurnerMan

I just finished my 2nd programming class for my BSCS and we used Eclipse - I found it easy to navigate and appreciated the depth in which you can debug applications.