Best Keyboard format for photoshop/FCP work

Discussion in 'iMac' started by activate, Oct 11, 2013.

1. activate macrumors regular

Hi,

About to order an iMac for the purpose of learning and using it for video editing and photography work. Is there a preferred keyboard setup for current users of this ?

The lighter wired keyboard and mouse or the wireless keyboard and magicmouse/trackpad.

Thanks.

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Wired numeric keyboard.

3. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that was my preference but I wasn't sure if the trackpad might have been useful in manipulating drawings/videos.

4. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

I would get the trackpad over a mouse, and I would highly recommend a graphics tablet for photoshop work.

5. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Ok hadn't ventured to that yet. Whats one that has good compatibility with a mac. I am guessing waycom would be a recommended one.

6. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Wacom for sure. Just get a basic one. Pen and touch I think it's called. I have one. It was £60 or something. You really need one with photoshop to be honest. You can spend much more money, and I got this model to see if it was really worth it. Thinking I would upgrade. It is really worth it! I don't need to even upgrade. For my usage it's awesome.

7. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. What do you think of this one http://buywacom.com.au/products/pen-tablets/intuos-tablets-new.html
    Also, do you think a trackpad is still necessary if I get the tablet. I am assuming that it can be used for gestures as well ?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Wired keyboard. and magicmouse or trackpad. You may decide to get a third party mouse anyway so it might be best to get the trackpad.

9. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

Never used those, but I imagine they would be fine! Mine is the very bottom of the range I think, and it's great, so you can't go wrong. With Wacom anyway.

One thing though. The touch part of the tablet really is next to useless compared to a Macbook trackpad. I would go with an Apple track pad for sure. I haven't ever used a large stand alone one.. but it's going to be comparable or better with the one on my Macbook pro.

And you can use the two in conjunction very easily as well, it's difficult to describe what I mean, but the pen in one hand and the other using the keyboard and clicking/two finger scrolling/various gestures on the trackpad. I think, for me at least, a mouse is obsolete. With these two items.

10. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I have a track pad and have never touched it once in Premiere. I only use my Logitech Performance MX mouse for all tasks.

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

another vote for

wired keyboard with numeric keys
    Intuos or similar tablet pad

my personal preference for a cursor device - Kensington Trackball (full pool ball sized ball)

It is all a matter of personal tastes and ergonomics. Strangely, the Intuos is easier for me to use than the Cintiq under certain instances.

12. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Wired keyboard it is. I haven't ordered the intuous touch waycom yet but it looks like that'll be it. I just need to understand a little more about the differences in the 3 models they offer.