Best Keyboard/Mouse Combo for under $30?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mal, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What's the best option for a keyboard and mouse combo for the Mac for under $30? I'd prefer wired, actually (it's for an iMac and I don't really want to have to replace batteries), and it'd be nice for it to have the Mac keys. Biggest wants: easy to type on, and good tracking mouse on a wooden desk surface (slightly glossy, and our current wireless mouse doesn't track very well, though it may be a problem with the mouse itself).

Please don't suggest anything more than the budget I've suggested. I know I can buy expensive ones that will be really awesome, but that doesn't help me because I can't justify the money right now.

jW

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

wooden desk surface : you'll need laser, and probably a mouse pad.

I use Logitech MX400 (old, discontinued). Currently there's a buy it now for $22 on ebay. These are precise enough for gaming. I have a big hand though.

Keyboard you can buy something on sale. Or try to find an old Apple keyboard. There's probably a huge difference between $10 and $30 keyboard though.

3. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Thanks. I don't need gaming precision really, just day-to-day usage, but I do like Logitech products. I'll definitely have to pick up a mouse pad somewhere, but those can be found almost free, and I might even have something laying around.

I guess the keyboard is the bigger question actually, since I love the feel of the newer Apple keyboards but don't want to spend that much. Something that wasn't too far off in response and placement but much cheaper would be ideal.

jW

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's harder to mess up a keyboard, but an imprecise mouse typically results in frustration and much slower computer usage.

I find even $5 (on sale) keyboard works alright (don't get the soft ones), but a cheap mouse can have problems with pointer drifting.

You should be able to find a Logitech mouse and keyboard set for maybe $30 on sale, but most on sale sets are wireless (i prefer wired). Why not go to a local computer store and see what they got on sale?