Best Keychain style 4-8gb USB drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kriista1234, Apr 18, 2011.

1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

I have a microcruzer but the little ring that attaches it to the keychain is garbage. It stretched/failed after owning/using it for a couple of weeks. Since then it's lived in my backpack as a backup.

I do miss having a USB drive on my keys all the time though.

I do like the look of these newer tiny/flat type drives (where the tip looks male rather than female).

I've even seen some shaped like an actual key and such.

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I like the LaCie Imakey (thats what its called). It literally looks like a key. I have one and love it. No ring to fall off. Theres a cover but its not necessary. I threw the cover away the first day.

3. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that looks perfect. I saw some keychain stuff but nothing namebrand.

With that and my swiss utilikey I'll be ready for most anything that can happen!

4. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I read that it's really slow.

How do you find the speed on it?

Is it USB1 or 2 (yours).

5. briguy2186 macrumors newbie

I personally have one of the lacie key's they are just a bit slower then some of the flash drives on the market, but they hold up well and have enough speed to playback 720p video. Plus they solve your problem, so give up a little speed and get one! I would also order them directly from lacie, otherwise your warranty might not be valid, lacie prefers that you order from authorized resellers for there warranty to work.

Talk to you later.

Brian

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I just received the 16GB Lacie Cookey fairly recently; Build quality is excellent and I primarily use it as an emergency boot drive with OSX 10.6, DiskWarrior 4, and Data Rescue 3 loaded on it. As others have stated it's not the fastest nor the cheapest of the bunch of flash drives on the market.

7. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the Cookey is just a newer, higher capacity iamakey? (What's with these overly silly names?)

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think they all were released around the same time or within a year of each other; the Cookey starts at 8GB and up, whereas the iamaKey starts at 4GB; There is a 4GB Cookey but it's made of silver and "silvered by Christofle" (whoopee), and thus more expensive. Lacie, for a number of years, has partnered with various companies and designers to bring out changes to drive enclosures(i.e. F.A. Porsche, Neil Poulton, etc.)

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10052

9. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird direction to go, with these designs (some of the other ones) but these key ones are a great idea.

Probably gonna go with a Cookey 32GB. That's a lotta space!