Best KVM Switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cnybud, Apr 14, 2007.

1. cnybud macrumors member

cnybud

The setup I have right now is a Mac Mini and a PC. Both have DVI and I want to continue to use both with one monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I have heard tell of KVM switches, but as i haven't used one before I thought I would ask you all what you have used and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really want to spend a ton of money really, I am trying to trade the PC for another mini or an older iMac, but until then I would like to use them both.

2. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

The one my husband had worked pretty well (still have it, he died in March, and had 2 pcs + one monitor). It is a Trendnet TK-207 KVM switch.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have two IOGEAR switches in my house (neither are DVI capable, though) and I've found them to be rather annoying. One of them just died shortly out of warranty and the other one switches unreliably.

4. janil macrumors member

I like the Gefen DVI KVM that I have. It runs a 23" monitor without problems.

I think it's good that I need to press a button on the unit to switch between units.

Some of the KVM's that switch between systems by interpreting keypresses on the usb keyboard can have problems.

It might be more expensive than what you want to pay, however.

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

i have an addlogix switch. i don't know if it's just my G4 or the switch with my G4, but i get electronic noises when i move the mouse and stuff on my G4. the G5 seems to be fine though. i tried the other port and have had mixed results so it might be the switch. send 1 back last year and their tech support said there was no problem. same issue replicated for me. i'm going to see what happens when i buy my mac pro to see if the sound is clean.

i may need the geffen one (4 port), but it's expensive.

key to look out for is what the maximum screen resolution...some are unlimited and some can only do 1600x1200.

Cheers,
    Keebler

6. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

Thanks folks. As it turns out it may be a mute point, as I think after just a few hours with the new machine I can do without the PC for quite awhile. I will keep your suggestions handy however, but from what i read there is really no good solution that is cheap.:eek: