Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the Moshi Zef'yr work great/safe on your lap?

• Yes, without any burns.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes, with some heat.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NO, please explain! (burns, tilt, position, etc.)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I am interested in knowing the best cooling pad that fits the size and style of the MBA and can be used mainly on the lap.

I might get the Moshi Zef'yr but I am not sure if that would be safe to be used in the lap :rolleyes:. Therefore, I thought of asking you guys.

My main purpose is to get something that would act as a shield to protect my lap from the heat with style mostly without the need for fans.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
It doesn't get hot, but I do not like heat :D

I wanna future proof my future kids :p

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My MBA runs much cooler than my v2,2 MBP. I don't think a laptop cooling pad is necessary for it. I do have a cooling pad, but haven't used it since buying my rev B MBA.

Sometimes, if sitting on bed, I will set it on a book. Even though I have a cooling pad, I don't think or feel it's necessary.

Sometimes products are not really needed...

Just my two cents.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks Scottsdale for your two cents.

I agree that it is NOT needed, but I don't like to put the laptop directly on my lap skin or thin pajamas:D

In addition, it sucks in the summer since the temperatures can get crazy in the mountains without central AC.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
It seems that the iLap has many advantages, but how well does it work with the MBA being very thin that when you place the rest cushion, would it still work perfectly for the rests and fingers or would it make it a bit awkward in terms of height?

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
This is interesting. I thought all of these require refrigerating but this one does NOT :eek:

However, doesn't the heat get through it and make you sweat?

Thanks to all of you and please keep them coming :)
nope the bottom of it is made of different material...I'm pretty sure it's fleece...it doesn't feel warm or make you sweat

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I just ordered an iLap 13" from Amazon. I think it has more advantages than the rest.

Thanks again to all :)

vtec96

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
It seems that the iLap has many advantages, but how well does it work with the MBA being very thin that when you place the rest cushion, would it still work perfectly for the rests and fingers or would it make it a bit awkward in terms of height?

I use 13" iLap for my Air and no problem with the cushion :)

The Grue

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
I have the Antec Notebook Cooler

I've had it for a few days. I use my laptop a lot while working in bed, and I found that the bottom heats up if I have a blanket over my legs, so I bought a cooling pad to see if it would help. The Antec is small, light, and has a passthrough for the USB port. It makes a big difference in the heat, and the fans on mine are whisper-quiet. It has an aluminum top and black trim that looks nice with the computer. Background noise generally really bugs me, but I can barely tell this is on with the fans on low, and on high, it isn't any louder than the built in fan on the computer. So far, I think this is worth the $25 or so Amazon was charging for it. Only downside is that it has big rubber feet that really smell bad. I bet that will go away after a bit of time though.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
iIve been using an ilap for my air for about a month now. i think its better suited for elevating the air when its placed on a desk. its a bit clunky for me to work on my lap but i have used it that way for bus trips. either way, its an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.