Best laser mouse for Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thermodynamic, Apr 18, 2011.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Howdy. I have a Logitech G5, Logitech G9, and Razer Lachesis. I love 'em all but none has a Mac driver. :(

Do you use a laser mouse? If so, which do you use?

(I don't game, but the higher sensitivity works nicely for larger screen resolutions and some graphic design)

Thx!

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

The problem isn't necessarily a mac driver, but Apple's Acceleration Curve. It works perfectly with Apple Mice, but not so much with other's. Now assuming that your issue is tracking issue and not customizable buttons, then my solution will work for you. Download USB overdrive and install it. If I remember correctly, you will have to restart your mac after installation. Now their is a free and a paid version, the free will work just fine. After installation, you can change the settings under system preferences -> USB Overdrive.

In the picture below, you will see two sliders. I find it helpful to have the top slider near the far right, and the bottom slider near the far left. I believe I also set the mouse speed (found in the normal mouse settings) around the middle, but you can set it anywhere.

As far as mice with mac drivers, I recently purchased the Logitech wireless m510. I am normally picky when it come to mice, but I do enjoy using it. After installing the logitech driver and uninstalling USB Overdrive, the mice works nicely. I've only had it for a few days, but I love it.

Attached Files:

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thanks much; I will download and try it out shortly!

4. Artillerist macrumors newbie

Was there a reason you have one of the Few Razer Mice that is not suported for Mac? Mamba, Naga, Imperator, Orochi, DeathAdder, Spectre. All are Mac compatable.
    Razer Naga Spec ( the one I use)
    5600DPI Razer Precision 3.5G Laser Sensor
    17 fully programmable MMO-optimized buttons
    Maximum comfort for long gaming sessions
    Custom interface AddOns for MMO games
    PC/Mac compatible

From engadget.com
    "Razer already provides full Mac support for a few of its gaming peripherals -- including the Naga and DeathAdder -- and basic support for others, but it's now taken avantage of GDC to "reaffirm" its commitment to Mac users. That apparently means that "all upcoming" Razer products -- including the company's line of StarCraft II peripherals -- will boast full Mac support out of the box, and that the company will be rolling out updates to some of its existing products "later this year," including the Orochi, Mamba, and Imperator gaming mice. First Steam, now Razer peripherals -- dare we say it's a good time to be a Mac gamer? "

5. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

I use free Dell laser/optical mice that i get from work and Logitech wireless models. I'm not much of a gamer. So, I don't require precision in mine.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I use a Apple Magic Mouse.. which is a laser mouse, and works fantastically (as youd expect) with Mac OS X.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I can approve. But you should try it first, as you might not like touch mice (some people are too used to normal mice and, yeah..)