Best laser printer for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glennk, Aug 10, 2007.

1. glennk macrumors newbie

I am looking for a replacement for my current printer (Lexmark injet). I infrequently use my printer, which leads to the cartridge drying out.... :mad:

So since the printer is 5 years old, I find that it is time for a replacement. I'm willing to spend upwards of $250, but would prefer to keep it below $200. Any recommendations?

2. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I've been hearing only good things about the Canon MP600. I believe Best Buy has it for around $149 or so right now.

[​IMG]

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What is the primary use for your printer?

Do you want to print photos or text based documents?

If you are looking for a nice monochrome laser printer to print text based documents then the Brother HL-2070N works well. Comes with USB, Parallel and LAN connectors. Amazon has them for $114. If you shop for deals you can get them under $100. Just got three of them for about $90 each.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looking for a color or B&W laser printer?

Might be able to get a decent postscript network B&W laser for $250, both the ethernet/postscript options will make it a better fit with the Mac. And the duplexer helps save paper.

However the cheap sub-100 USB lasers will give decent quality.

Just remember to check for local availability of cartridges at Staples/OfficeMac/Best Buy/CompUSA.

Since a dead cartridge always seems to occur the day you need it.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at the Savings for Back-to-School ads, you might find a Samsung ML-2510 Laser at OfficeMax for $80.

There should be some other sales at stores for cheap $80 lasers also.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dunno about the best, but I have the Brother HL-2040. Got it for $80. USB and Parallel only, but that makes no difference to me anyway (hurray for AirPort Extreme ;)). Works great for me.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Of course you can easily preclude this issue by purchasing a replacement cartridge before you need it. That way you just pop in the replacement when the current one dies. Then find/order a replacement at that time.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are looking for a cheap laser w/ decent OS X support you won't do any better than Brother. Even some of their bottom rung printers have ethernet and PS3 compatibility.

9. glennk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all! I am planning to use this printer for black and white only, only text. I think i've found a good deal. HP 2015 for $189 (after rebate). Its more printer than I was needing, but it has a very quick start-up time and very low cost per page. Brother was my original choice, but I've read on several sites about excessive power usage during warm-up.

10. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

Brother HL-1440 been sitting on my Airport Express for years, best printer I ever bought