Best Laser Printer for Photo and Graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HudsonsHalfHour, Sep 7, 2009.

1. HudsonsHalfHour macrumors member

Looking for a laser printer to replace ink-jet printer. Are there any out there that can compete with ink-jets for photographic output without going over the 1k price mark?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Laser printers aren't generally seen as top quality photo printers. There are good color laser printers, but the paper available for home printing is not exactly designed with laser printers in mind. What makes a photo printer so good are the inks that are used. Because I was curious about why anyone would want a laser printer as a photo printer I did some googling and this article seems to think the Canon PIXMA iP90 Photo Inkjet Printer is a great laser photo printer. To me an inkjet is an inkjet and a laser is a laser, but this guy seems to believe that the Canon PIXMA iP90 Photo Inkjet Printer is a great laser printer. :confused:

However, there are some really well regarded color laser printers out there. I know that the Xerox Phaser series are supposed to be real nice, less temperamental than many laser printers and still bares the Xerox name.

Either way, I would stick with Xerox if you're looking for just color or dig deeper into why the author of that above article seems to regard the Canon PIXMA iP90 Photo Inkjet Printer as a laser printer.

3. foodle macrumors 6502

The iP90 is clearly not a laser, so it's unclear why the link above claims that it is.

As the other poster said, lasers are not very good for photo printing. If you want to print photos without the mess of inks/nozzles/etc., then look into dye sublimation printers instead.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Lasers are not good photo printers. Don't bother. I have both a decent photo printer (HP C6250 all-in-one) and a cheap but reasonable B&W laser (Brother HL-2070n). The combination of the two is much better, in my opinion, to highly expensive laser color toner and inability of laser printers to print on glossy photo paper.

Oh, and the Pixma above is so very not a laser printer. The author of the link above is out of his gourd.