Best LCD TV brand?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rfrankl, Oct 12, 2008.

1. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I know everybody's opinion might be different, but I would appreciate some input. What about Vizio in particular? Thanks!

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I've heard the Vizios being good, but I'm not sure about if whether or not there is still a problem with the viewing angle on LCDs.

You might want to look into Plasma televisions if you can.

3. Volante macrumors regular

Pioneers are the best, just as plasma. They are using IPS-panels, which provide great viewing angle. Sony also have a highend LCD-series, the X4500. For average spenders, I'd recommend the Samsung A656 or Sony W4500. (The names may vary depending on country)

4. denm316 macrumors 6502

Sony All The Way

Sony Bravia XBR Series. I would never buy a different brand.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

for lcd: sony or Samsung
    Plasma: Pioneer or Panasonic

6. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

My opinion exactly.

I've also found Hitachi good for smaller screens, as in <32".

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Samsung is one of the highest rated premium brands. If your budget is tighter I would suggest Toshiba. I bought a 42" Toshiba Regza 1080p for right around $1000 on sale and have been very happy with the quality for the price.

If you have a very tight budget then you might want to look at Vizio. Those would be my 3 suggestions.

8. LeoFio macrumors regular

I couldn't have said that any better.

While in the store comparing TV's, check out the black levels. The lower quality LCD's blacks will display as a light gray. The black level is crucial in accurate color reproduction. The Pioneer KUROs are the absolute best (you'll pay for it too). Blacks are black, not gray.

I would consider getting a plasma over an LCD due to the superior black levels and response times, but obviously you have to do whatever your budget allows.

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

thats why i went with the panasonic plasma, just thought that looking at all the different tv's plasmas still gives a much better picture with much better colors.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

While plasma does have some advantages over LCD one of it's disadvantages is that it is a power hungry beast compared to LCD. If conserving energy is a concern to you LCD would be better.

I know there are a lot of Sony fans here, but honestly I would not spend that much money on a brand with known issues that other less expensive brands don't have.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748779

That is a 299 page thread on issues with cloudy and uneven backlighting on Sony Bravias. When you are buying the most expensive brand it should not be an issue. If someone complained about a Vizio I would say expect some minor issues for the price, but not for what Sony charges.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

My Samsung is awesome. Do your homework on avsforum and cnet. Side by side comparisons, though, are always the best way to decide once you narrow down your choices.

12. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I've had Westinghouse, HP, Sony, and Samsung. I think my 40" Samsung I use the most now, purchased in June 2008, definitely gave the most bang for the buck. It's a beautiful picture and set, and I'm immensely happy with it.

13. mpshay macrumors 6502

Just keep in mind that the out of the box settings on a lot of TVs are far from ideal. Plasmas are great, but woek best in a room that can be darkened.

14. Maximillian macrumors 6502

This is going to be a lot of opinions and fans of their brand.

So I'll speak up for my brand choice: Sony.

I love the BRAVIA line. Great picture, great sound.

15. TSE macrumors 68030

I used to have a sharp 25" LCD TV that worked great until I accidentally tripped and knocked it over.

16. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

My vote for Sony XBR as well. Pricey, but worth it. However a friend has a Pioneer plasma and I think it looks good as well. Really just get whatever looks good to you and has all the features you need.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Another important disadvantage is elevation. If you live in a high elevation area such as Denver Colorado, it will severely shorten the life of a plasma TV.

18. QUiKSR20 macrumors member

QUiKSR20

I bought my tv about 1 year ago Samsung LNT4665 ( 46" 1080p )

No regrets when reading reviews and doing side by side comparisons the Samsung looked better than everything in its price range. It also had great reviews online as well

For plasm def Pioneer Kuro or Panasonic like the others stated.

19. ozarkchoir macrumors member

For a man on a budget...

I have a Vizio and I love it. So much so I saved enough extra to buy a smaller 32" Vizio for my bedroom. I have been very very happy with this American company.

I wanted Samsung after all the reviews and looking at them...but the extra money just wasn't there. So that being said I wouldn't have made a different decision. Sure it's not one of the "super name brands" but for the price this is the best television I've owned. Looks great with my Mac Mini hooked up to it with all our movies ripped.
    :D

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

For LCDs, samsung, sony and sharp are the best. Sony tends to be overpriced. Watch our for LG to slowly climb the ranks as well.

Toshiba is an excellent cheaper choice in LCDs.

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I love my Samsung. I've had good experiences with Vizio also on the budget side.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Overall, I like Panasonic; I think Pioneers are on par with Panasonic in the Plasma department (considering Matsushita makes the panels for Pioneer).

I think Sharp LCDs kick butt, but maybe that's personal preference.

23. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I have a 37" Vizio in my room and it has been great for the price. BUt my parents have a 52" Sharp Aquos and that thing is clear and sharp its unbelievable. But if you want a cheaper but still great LCD I'd go with Vizio

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sony Bravia? I have a Toshiba Regza 42" HDTV. Pioneer is spanking awesome as well.