HomeKit Best light switch with dimmer for outside can lights

Treebark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I’ve had Hue lights in our indoor lamps since they came out, but I’d like our outdoor can lights to be controllable. I’m thinking the cheapest / easiest way would be to use a switch.

1. Front set of 6 can lights is controlled by a single pole, dimmable switch now. Any clear winners? Leviton? Light wave?
  2. Back set isn’t dimmable but the switch is in a wall plate with 4 other switches (ceiling fan, outlets, indoor, mystery on). Thinking I may have to skip this one, but thought I’d ask.
I see Apple’s list of HomeKit switches, but didn’t know if any stood out

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Indoor switch for outdoor lights?

I'm pretty happy with Leviton. Some issues when I first got them, but things have settled down quite nicely. Usually can find them at HomeDepot, might have to root around a bit though.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Well for those first six you can use the Lutron Caseta It will work with HomeKit you control it from your phone set timers it’s a great switch.

I have four of them and control all of them using Home kit including one on my patio.

I even have it set up with location services that it will turn on my patio and living room when we arrive home after sunset those are all modes for automation within the HomeKit settings

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I've never needed to dim my outdoor lights, so I opted for the Eve Light Switch. I have one controlling my front lights, one on the garage interior lights, and one on the back lights. They work really well with Homekit and my ATV home hub.

The biggest plus for me was that they are a perfect fit for existing Decora wallplates. I just replaced the existing switch, even if it was part of an existing 4-gang plate. My garage switch is triggered by motion from a Hue Motion Sensor, the other switches are sunset-to-10pm timed.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Indoor switch for outdoor lights?
Oddly the switch for the front 6 lights are not in the garage, in the foyer (where there are other light switches) but inside the coat closet of the foyer.

I guess we don't have them dimmed all that much so something to think about. I do like how eve has some other stuff to vs the Lutron Caseta. The latter though looks a little more robust.

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
I was looking to clarify whether or not the switch was inside or outside. While I'm sure there are some outdoor (weatherproofed) switches available for HomeKit, I've never looked for any.

drmikey

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I have 3 Leviton dimmer switches and all have worked very well. My first one had a couple of connectivity issues where it would become non-responsive, but with firmware updates they’ve all been solid. The first one I got just under a year ago to give you an idea of usage.

I watched Amazon for a while and got one for ~50% off. Some HomeDepot stores will cary them, but I’ve found them cheaper on Amazon lately.