Best light-weight CMS?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by calvol, Oct 10, 2013.

1. calvol macrumors 6502a

I'm playing around with la.plume for a small business website, does anyone have any experience with it, or any other good micro-CMS? Thx!

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

When you post something like that on a forum like this without qualifying what services or features you need, the advice will be literally all over the place from people saying they like this or that. Instead of helping you narrow down based on actual needs/benefits and services/features, it becomes a popularity contest sometimes.

My advice is to add some comments explaining in general terms the type of business and basic needs you desire, to see if another CMS we know about will get the job done. If you are starting up and unfamiliar with features available, then I offer some wise and important advice, to visit:

http://www.opensourcecms.com

Notice there is a category called "Lite" when you visit. Get the idea?

There you can see and demo all kinds of popular open source LAMP based CMS's much like la.plume and learn what's common and what's available in terms of features and plugins. You'll be able to login as admin to see the back end and find what's comfortable for you meets your needs. This is why I refrained from posting my opinion, thus far, until I know your needs.

If after visiting the site still unsure or too many choices, take a few minutes to tell us more would benefit you and help us narrow down the possibilities as well as avoid a runaway thread (maybe, heh).

;)

3. 960design macrumors 68020

For a truly light weight CMS you could use contenteditable and a little AJAX.

Here's a little demo: ( not mine )
    http://html5demos.com/contenteditable

The users could log-in and directly edit their webpages.

4. kwijbo macrumors regular

5. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

What makes you think Joomla is light-weight? I'm not asking you about it's quality or stability or ease of use. This particular CMS has literally thousands of extensions and has an audience of 35M+ consisting of DIY's all the way to NPO's to Enterprise level corporate where much customization is involved from a large development community far apart from the core distribution/download. I don't think you understood the question.

The OP specifically said "small business site" and "Micro-CMS" to qualify their needs.

7. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Currently working with CouchCMS (http://www.couchcms.com) and quite happy with it. Unlike many of these micro-CMSs, you can host it yourself.

8. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

9. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Perch CMS

Try Perch.
    It's lightweight and unlike many other CMSs it gives you full markup control. You just plug in Perch to the areas you want, cutting down the bloat.

The developers are great and use to make client websites, support is great too.

http://grabaperch.com/

10. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

then why not Drupal ? :p

11. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

:p

(for those following, no.)

:D:D:D

12. chorner macrumors member

It all depends on your intended hosting, and your skill-set.

In my opinion, since you're asking here, you're a beginner with no development experience. If you want to be able to use whatever template you'd like, or something you end up throwing together yourself you'll more than likely want to use what's called a Flat File CMS. Something like Pico might fit the bill for you, and are generally very easy to throw in the required markup into your pages and output some content.

At the end of the day, try out a couple of them and see if it makes sense for you. All of the CMS's will do basic content editing, but it's most important to chose the one you are comfortable with using -- nobody can suggest that, so I'd try out the demos and install a couple of them yourself.

The few listed here in the thread are good starting points. And, if you find doing it yourself is a no-go -- hire a professional developer! :)

And no offense "SrWebDeveloper" you're nothing close to a SrWebDeveloper.

13. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

That wasn't very nice nor required for you to help the OP. No matter what you think of me, that was offensive and done with very low class and unprofessional, I think. It's okay to disagree with advice given here, but it accomplishes nothing to make it personal as you did with me.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

15. Jamesbot macrumors member

16. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Maybe Fork CMS is worth a look: http://www.fork-cms.com

Been looking at it for a while but still not had time to try.

17. giampablo, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

giampablo macrumors newbie

Textpattern CMS is the one I would recommend. Light and fast but with great power and flexibility underneath.
    The Textpattern community is one of the most friendly and helpful I ever encountered.

18. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I am guessing this is the correct link: http://textpattern.com