Best lightweight music player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fabiettomac, Jul 5, 2012.

1. fabiettomac macrumors newbie

hi! new there ;)
    a quick question: i'm using vlc now for both video and audio files. i mean, i have my music library on itunes, but for simple playing various audio files that i've not yet added to my library i use vlc.
    is there something more appropriate?
    i've tried vox, a lightweight audio player, but i'm not pleased with the interface..the playlist access is not intuitive.
    i've used cog in the past and it was simply perfect but it's no more developed from a long time..

so, what's the best lightweight music player only (WITHOUT an internal library) for audio files on the mac?

i know i'm asking too much but the only thing that i miss from the windows operating system is foobar2000.. it's been seven years since i switched to the mac platform, but that software is simply unparalleld.

2. pathakrahul macrumors newbie

I am in search of a similar player. (It should not have any internal library!) Right now, I use VLC to play mp3 but I am not totally satisfied with the sound quality. But the cool thing about VLC is that it makes a one-time playlist so it becomes easier to navigate between songs. Any other suggestions? What can be its substitute?

3. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

I use Songbird - to access an external library. I don't have/use iTunes.

4. fabiettomac thread starter macrumors newbie

so far i'm very happy with vox. menubar controls, minimal footprint, decent sound quality, works well on my 2011 air and on my 2002 imac g4. good piece of software!

5. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112