Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
got my new modem from time wanrer arris dg1670 it hits 300 down and 20 up on main pc wired,of course if i get my own router id have to run a ethernet from the linksys router to the main pc what router can get me these speeds without a issue and great wireless speeds?

also when trying to connect the router to one of the other ports of the cable modem and modem straight into the mac won't work as once bridge mode is enabled only one ethernet is enabled =/ so need a really good router

again linksys only

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I wouldn't get a Linksys router. They are now targets of bonets Trojans according to the article Security Failings in Home Routers. Then forget D-link because they have the same problem.

Do look at either the NetGear Nighthawk or an Airport Extreme. These two were not part of the security scares so they are your best selections for really secure AC networking.

please understand i don't want any other routers i never had issues with a linksys router and i want to use there brand thank you

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
got my new modem from time wanrer arris dg1670 it hits 300 down and 20 up on main pc wired,of course if i get my own router id have to run a ethernet from the linksys router to the main pc what router can get me these speeds without a issue and great wireless speeds?

also when trying to connect the router to one of the other ports of the cable modem and modem straight into the mac won't work as once bridge mode is enabled only one ethernet is enabled =/ so need a really good router

again linksys only

Look at the site Smallnetbuilder for good router reviews. This link shows the top rated AC1900 routers and there is a Linksys model on there that might suite you. The Amazon reviews look pretty good.

No experience with that model myself though.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
yeah never been bot netted before and i've owned linsys for years but anyway moving along

The people in this thread are not anti-Linksys but are trying to show you that there are better options out there for what you want that are also more secure. It is like you buying a Ford Ranger and wanting to pull a boat. You say you only have bought Ford Rangers in the past and want an F-150. However, some will say that the Dodge RAM is the better truck for towing and will advise you that way. Same thing!

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
The people in this thread are not anti-Linksys but are trying to show you that there are better options out there for what you want that are also more secure. It is like you buying a Ford Ranger and wanting to pull a boat. You say you only have bought Ford Rangers in the past and want an F-150. However, some will say that the Dodge RAM is the better truck for towing and will advise you that way. Same thing!

thats fine but i specifically said just linksys ,no need to push another product/brand down someones mouth here

----------

Look at the site Smallnetbuilder for good router reviews. This link shows the top rated AC1900 routers and there is a Linksys model on there that might suite you. The Amazon reviews look pretty good.

No experience with that model myself though.

thats will look into that one also was looking into the model thats number 4 on there page

----------

Did you check? Especially check the output log.

yeah im fine dont worry never had a issue on windows/mac while using a linksys when someone gets a hold of my data ill be sure to report back to you

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
thats fine but i specifically said just linksys ,no need to push another product/brand down someones mouth here

----------

thats will look into that one also was looking into the model thats number 4 on there page

----------

yeah im fine dont worry never had a issue on windows/mac while using a linksys when someone gets a hold of my data ill be sure to report back to you

Stay away from Linksys routers they've always been subpar and bot filled.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you must go Linksys then the WRT1900AC is by far the best option. If you are open to other options, then I think you would find a much better router.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
If you must go Linksys then the WRT1900AC is by far the best option. If you are open to other options, then I think you would find a much better router.

the apple airport extreme is there anyway to hide that and mount it behind the imac?and how is the router page cause my main purpose for this is for gaming and getting my full speeds on my main imac

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
the apple airport extreme is there anyway to hide that and mount it behind the imac?and how is the router page cause my main purpose for this is for gaming and getting my full speeds on my main imac

If you mean physically mount, there are a few 3rd party mounts available on Amazon. By the router page do you mean the configuration page? If so that is done through the AirPort Utility. I have found the AirPort Extreme to be a great router with great throughput.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Take a look at this shelf from Twelve South. It hangs off the back of an iMac and has adjustable pegs. You could mount any router back there if you wanted. (Look at the photos on the left of the Amazon page.)

I bought one for my daughter's iMac and mounted her backup drive on there and you can't even see it from the front. Slick gadget.

Nothing wrong at all with the Apple routers, but they do tend to be lacking in features other high end (or even low end) routers have, such as QOS, SNMP and so on.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Take a look at this shelf from Twelve South. It hangs off the back of an iMac and has adjustable pegs. You could mount any router back there if you wanted. (Look at the photos on the left of the Amazon page.)

I bought one for my daughter's iMac and mounted her backup drive on there and you can't even see it from the front. Slick gadget.

Nothing wrong at all with the Apple routers, but they do tend to be lacking in features other high end (or even low end) routers have, such as QOS, SNMP and so on.

this time warner router they gave me with the new speeds 300/20 i can't get my nat off strict with this crap and it's annoying me and on top of that with the e1200 connected the main pc wired wont hit 300/20 even tho it's rated for 300 mb

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
this time warner router they gave me with the new speeds 300/20 i can't get my nat off strict with this crap and it's annoying me and on top of that with the e1200 connected the main pc wired wont hit 300/20 even tho it's rated for 300 mb

The AirPort Extreme will more than exceed that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Your problem is the Linksys E1200 only has 100Mbps wired ethernet ports, so will not handle the 300Mbps DL you have with TWC.

The Arris has four 1Gbps ethernet ports that will of course handle that speed and built in 802.11n that might get close to 300Mbps under good conditions.

Why exactly are you even using the Linksys or considering another router?

Maybe explain what you are trying to accomplish and we can suggest some options.

With that 300/20 speed on TWC at this point I believe your only cable modem options are that Arris they are leasing you or buy the new Motorola Arris SB6183 that seems to be sold out everywhere then add your own router.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Your problem is the Linksys E1200 only has 100Mbps wired ethernet ports, so will not handle the 300Mbps DL you have with TWC.

The Arris has four 1Gbps ethernet ports that will of course handle that speed and built in 802.11n that might get close to 300Mbps under good conditions.

Why exactly are you even using the Linksys or considering another router?

Maybe explain what you are trying to accomplish and we can suggest some options.

With that 300/20 speed on TWC at this point I believe your only cable modem options are that Arris they are leasing you or buy the new Motorola Arris SB6183 that seems to be sold out everywhere then add your own router.

no i got the 300/20 to work just fine now =)

time warner did something wrong on there end but ended up fixing it,anyway so i ran the modem straight to my imac,then hooked the router to my time warner box,before i had it going modem to router>router ethernet to imac not sure why,now i get the full speeds on my imac which is what i mainly wanted,tho seeing as for the time being i was using 5 ghz on my xbox one and other wireless devices i liked the speed increase on it so might get a router that allows for 5ghz

----------

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
no i got the 300/20 to work just fine now =)

time warner did something wrong on there end but ended up fixing it,anyway so i ran the modem straight to my imac,then hooked the router to my time warner box,before i had it going modem to router>router ethernet to imac not sure why,now i get the full speeds on my imac which is what i mainly wanted,tho seeing as for the time being i was using 5 ghz on my xbox one and other wireless devices i liked the speed increase on it so might get a router that allows for 5ghz

----------

[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/3852457999.png]Image[/URL]

That Linksys that I mentioned above or the AirPort Extreme can handle that. Personally, I use AirPorts for fantastic reliability, stability, speed, and ease of use.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
That Linksys that I mentioned above or the AirPort Extreme can handle that. Personally, I use AirPorts for fantastic reliability, stability, speed, and ease of use.

yea ill be looking into it thanks

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I would avoid spending a lot of money on a higher end residential wireless router. You would get way better performance and much better coverage with something like a Ubiquity UniFi access point (UAP Pro/ UAP-AC) and your existing router or a Ubiquity router.

Real world performance of a commercial access point will crush the other options you are looking at.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Linksys LRT-214

I don't know your specific setup, but since I've got a house wired for GB ethernet I'm using the Linksys LRT-214 as my main router and two Airport routers for my wireless needs (mobile systems only). So far this has worked well for me, and yes I check the router logs. I also second the earlier recommendation about SmallNetBuilder - I used that when I selected the LRT-214. Good reviews and other useful networking information.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would avoid spending a lot of money on a higher end residential wireless router. You would get way better performance and much better coverage with something like a Ubiquity UniFi access point (UAP Pro/ UAP-AC) and your existing router or a Ubiquity router.

Real world performance of a commercial access point will crush the other options you are looking at.

Ubiquiti is quite a unique company. Their UniFi hardware is fantastic and affordable. It is a great option for schools and businesses where many APs are needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.