Best linux distribution for santa rosa MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jan 2, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Which linux distribution is the most compatible with the new santa rosa MBP? Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know that with Leopard OS X is Unix, and that OS X can natively run many *nix programs anyhow.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

While many distro's of linux are compatible, you should check out Ubuntu or Mint (which is based on Ubuntu),.. you will find tons of support online. There are other that work great as well, but I have had the best luck with these.

4. Uoila macrumors member

any should do fine.

I would say that since the mac is pc hardware with pretty run of the mill intel hardware with broadcom wireless .... etc. Its no longer a question of "which linux should i use on my mac", and more "Which linux should i use" I would imagine any big name linux distro should support your hardware just fine. I like Fedora, but i have never used it on my mac, but again, i have no idea why it wouldn't support intel and an intel chipset.

good luck.

5. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

As was mentioned, Apple OS X is a fully compatible Unix release (10.5 anyway) but if you'd still like to check out a dedicated linux distribution I'd suggest Ubuntu. It's for sure the best/easiest place to start.

6. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I've tried 15+ and fedora is my favorite distro but ive only run it on my crappy beige box and in parallels

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

x86 architecture or 64bit Intel computers

It looks like I can choose either x86 or 64bit AMD and Intel computers. Could you please let me know which one is better?

8. evillageprowler macrumors regular

It looks like I can choose either x86 or 64bit AMD and Intel computers. Could you please let me know which one is better?

I'm a bit shocked that you are asking to use Linux and have to ask the above question. Perhaps it is best to ask why you want to run Linux rather than to give you a canned response...

EVP

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you're computer has an AMD processor use the AMD, if your computer has an Intel processor (ALL Apple Macs) use intel.

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

linux mint is basically ubuntu with codecs installed I believe. I love that the newest version of ubuntu has beryl...I just can't seem to get my powerbook to boot from the live cd.

11. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

12. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Wrong!

Anything written for Intel will work on AMD, and vis versa.

I think question the poster was asking was which version should they get, the AMD64, or the i386.

If you have a CoreDuo Mac, then you need the i386. Since they have a Core2Duo Mac, the OP can use either the AMD64 or the i368, both will work.

13. macffooky macrumors regular

Gutsy for PPC is still pretty ropey...best stick with Feisty for the moment unfortunately.

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Just to clarify. When I tried to download Ubuntu at: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    I was given three choices. The first two were: 1. Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, ...) and 2. 64 bit AMD and Intel computers

It seems that the 64 bit version could run faster but on the internet, I read that there are some compatibility problems with other programs. So, I wonder whether I should try option 1 or 2. Similarly, under the fedora download site at http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora, I can choose between: i386 and x86 64. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Most of the distros you're looking at come in live CDs. Just download a bunch of ISOs, burn them to CDs, and see which ones you like the most.

16. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

ah, unfortunate. I figured it wouldn't exactly be speedy...but runs better than great on my desktop (amd 2800, radeon 9800. 1 gig ram). Thought just maybe it would work fine on my powerbook....

Guess I'll wait til I get a mbp..500gigabyte internal hard drive should have room for vista and ubuntu.

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm a big Linux fan. Been using it from the days of the 0.9 Kernel on the Intel 386SX (remember those?) long before the Pentums were out. I'm typing this on a modern Linux system that I use nearly full time at work. Before Linux it was UNIX on DEC hardware (before the PC era)

That said, I'm finding that Mac OS X can do almost anything that Linux can. There is not much Linux software that I can't get running on Mac OS X. So, Why Linux?

If you don't have Apple hardware then Linux or one of the UNIXes is a good solution but if you have Apple hardware the best *NIX is Mac OS X.

There are good reasons, if you need to port software or test multi-platform build scripts you need multiple platforms. So I do run Linux inside a VMware Fusion VM. I have other VM's et up for Windows XP and Solaris.

You best bet is to get a copy of Fusion and run Ubuntu inside. It works well if you have 2GB of RAM in the system. With Leopard's "spaces" you can run Linux (or Solaris, or BSD) full screen and switch to the Mac desktop quickly

If you have a PPC Mac then "different story" Fusion doe not work. You will need a PPC Linux. "Yellow Dog" is the standards there.