Best linux distro for Macbook Air 2013?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by e270889o, Jan 22, 2014.

1. e270889o macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I have to install linux for studies and i wanna know which distro would be the best one for my macbook air 2013 13''.

I heard about efi problems, no wifi etc and I wanna know if there is any distro that you know its easy to install as straight fordward as possible.

I don't care about direct boot like bootcamp or install refit. I just wanna know that works.

What is your choice?

Thanks.

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I found a pretty good one called "Manjaro", it picks up all hardware on my windoss machine..

manjaro.org

If you don't like that one Opensuse works great too

3. Dan04MCS macrumors member

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Arch is definitely not noob friendly ;)

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Imo Ubuntu is the most user friendly and hardware compatible.

6. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

yep and Mint is too..

7. courtrich macrumors newbie

Linux on MacBook Air

My goal was to run Linux natively on my MacBook Air, not using RefiT of RefiND. I tried several flavors but struggled with efi. In the end OpenSuse 13.1 worked perfectly. All hardware seems to be supported, even the Thunderbolt connection. Boot time is incredibly fast as well. I've been extremely happy. I upgraded to 13.2 yesterday using the zypper dup command and that too went perfectly. BTW - I wasn't an OpenSuse fan before this experience but am becoming one. I've pretty much been Debian centric (Ubuntu, Mint etc) for years. OpenSuse is a little controlling but I am able to work around everything as needed.