Best Lion Compatible Backup Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alxfyv, Sep 14, 2011.

1. alxfyv macrumors newbie

This is my first Mac, a MacBook Air 13" running Lion. I've been researching backup software other than TimeMachine and would like to know what other Mac users like. Because it's an Air, my backup hardware options are external USB 2.0 hard drive, external USB 2.0 DVD drive, and USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

My research has left me with ChronoSync vers.4.2.3 which is Lion compatible (from www.econtechnologies.com). But I would like to hear other users' opinions of this app -- good and bad -- as well as suggestions of other backup software.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. lars666 macrumors 6502a

ChronoSync is a very good app. If you want to sync a whole bootable system, try Carbon Copy Cloner (or Super Duper, but I haven't tested this one). In addition to the post of miles01110, I can recommend Time Machine, too, if you don't have any individual trouble with it.

4. Cripps macrumors regular

5. willieva macrumors 6502

Super duper works with lion and you can boot from an external USB drive with it.

If you want a backup system that protects against catastrophic failure and let's you keep working then something like super duper will work. If you're more interested in being able to recover a file you erased an hour or week ago then time machine is what you're looking for. Or something like it. There's something to be said for using both systems in concert.