Best lock for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

With an investment as big as an imac, I want to make sure I get quality lock for it. There are tons of videos online showing how easy it is to take apart many of these locks, and it's actually a bit scary that seemingly anyone can do it. I'm wondering if there's any particular lock or brand that is resistant to being tampered and unlocked as easily. Any recommendations?

2. Texran macrumors regular

Just keep doing your research as most locks will only prevent opportunistic theft.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a large steel band, have someone drill a hole through it, and then use a Medeco padlock.

Honestly, locking computers is pointless.

4. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

That's a shame, I did look around and you're right. A lot of them can be snipped easily. Although I still need something, as it's a computer that will be used in my workplace at school, which is open 24/7, and has been prone to theft on occasion..

I looked around and there are some pretty strong bike chains around, that I could maybe loop around the hole? I found this kryptonyte brand one, which reports show as one of the strongest around. Although it's a little pricier..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

5. lamboman macrumors 6502

Where is this iMac going to be located? Home or college/work? If it is at home, you really ought to be looking at improving your house security than locking things down.

Otherwise, a tough bike lock as you've suggested (which I don't know anything about, sorry!) is the best way to go about it really.

6. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

This is for my workplace at school. While it's in a locked area, it has multiple entrances that are left open sometimes, which have led to a handful of thefts in the past.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would strongly urge you to get a MBP that you don't need to leave anywhere.

8. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Yeah, i don't even understand why iMac even is an option! Get a MBP! :apple:

9. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

I have a low end mbp from '07, but the imacs have much more screenspace + power* for the money :x

*actually, with the recent mbp refresh, do imacs still stack up?

10. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

An iMac doesn't fit in a backpack. Don't worry about it. It's also heavy an awkward to carry so nobody is going to be running with one in their hands....