Best lock/security cable for 15" uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shred, Jul 31, 2009.

1. shred macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a new 15" uMBP and would like to find what you guys would recommend in terms of a lock/security cable?

Thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Any one that has a fairly thick cable will work. The thicker the cable, the harder it is to cut though.

I also recommend a combination lock over a key lock. You can change the combination, but you can't change a key.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Why would I need to change the key? You mean if someone stole your key but hasn't stolen your MBP yet?

Though I think the combo lock is a nice idea in that I'm afraid I'll lose the key and leave my MBP locked up to something, lol

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I was also wondering the same thing regarding security, but I heard the kensington locks are quite easy to pick.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can't pick a combination lock, but given enough time, a thief can guess it. A lock could be picked faster than a combination guessed. Also, it is very easy for a thief to make a copy of a key.

Don't forget that locks work as theft deterrent, not prevention.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

And from my perspective with a combination you don't need to carry around a key as well. A key is just another thing to lose. With a combination you don't have to worry about carrying and keeping track of a key, just have to make sure you remember the combination.

I would say get a combo lock rather than a key lock.

7. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I saw a video on youtube where a guy picked a kensington key lock using a toilet roll tube in 1 minute. I'll try to find it, otherwise just search it.

8. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Yeah that's actually what I was talking about