Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Diesel costs considerably more than gas (at least around here), so it would have to get much better mileage to even break even, and then where is the advantage?

For a full sized van, it gets about the best mileage, 22-25mpg might not seem like much on the highway. But compared to a loaded gas van with a V8, it is decent.

There is a reason those Fedex, UPS, and delivery vans are using the diesel Sprinter van.

And if you've seen those vehicles, the passenger van will definitely carry 4 people and all the luggage for a long trip. Unless you want to go to a full-sized SUV and eat it in the wallet for the gas.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I am the roadtrip master. I toured with The Grateful dead a few times. Even after Jerry Garcia died. Went cross country at least 3 times.

I rented an Isuzu Trooper.

It got crappy gas mileage but if your bring friends and a lot of stuff this is it.

Very comfortable to drive or ride in..

I still own one and it's now got 102,000 miles on it but it is very reliable.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I also forgot to mention the Mercedes R-Class. That's pretty much the best sports-tourer/crossover on the market.

I also bet you could get a great deal on a Chrysler Aspen. :)

Are you looking to rent or buy?

I was going to recommend the R class with the BlueTech diesel. It's the size of a minivan, with Benz luxury. I was a bit shocked that it only gets 24MPG on the highway, though. The Honda Pilot is nice, too. My brother has one, and they manage to fit 5 people plus baggage in theirs, and it gets in the mid 20s on the highway.

I also just want to mention that I hate flying, although I would probably do it for a cross country type trip. My usual rule is if I can make the drive in 8-10 hours, I will drive. Only beyond that do I considering flying. (Well, for personal trips. My employer doesn't see things this way.) I'm not afraid of flying, in fact, I would love to get my pilot's license one day. I hate flying in modern-day USA. I hate airports and all the hassle. As the late, great, Douglas Adams once said: There is a reason no language in the world has ever come up with the phrase "As lovely as an airport". :D

Plus, at 30,000 ft, you miss a lot of good things. One of my long term goals is to take a vacation by picking a direction and just start driving. No destination, no goals, just drive the backroads and see the country.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Actually, me and my friends are planning a roadtrip from California to New York after we graduate (that's about 3 years) so we still have lots to plan. But not taking a plane is what makes it fun!

We are probably going to take my friend's Prius. Good mileage+plenty space for three people and plenty of space for at least two people to sleep while the other one drives.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Yeah, this is probably what it's going to be. Or a combo of that, bus, rental, something along those lines. Just checking out possibilities for a future trip, haven't planned it yet.

Air fare is so low these days it'll probably be cheaper to fly cross country than drive.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
]We are probably going to take my friend's Prius. Good mileage+plenty space for three people and plenty of space for at least two people to sleep while the other one drives.

Hybrids don't get great highway mileage. Their fuel savings are derived from turning the gas engine off under low loads/when stopped. The gas engine isn't going to turn off doing 60 mph. Diesels are far better suited for highway economy (and diesel hybrids are just all around awesome! but not yet commercially available! :()

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
34.jpg

'Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?'

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I'm driving an 07 Nissan Pathfinder. Seats 7 and if only 4 are required, the third row folds flat into the floor and there's a lot of cargo space. Good leg room, average gas mileage (good if you're willing to go 65 and set the cruise control) I'd say that on the highway you can plan for 20 mpg, and maybe 25 if you use the cruise control like I suggested. It's got a fuel economy calculator in the overhead console, I've seen it go as high as 38 mpg on even a very slight downhill, which in some parts of the country can last for hours.

Anyway, we got it for a steal last summer, $17,000 with 13,000 miles on it, we payed about half what the same trim level would have cost us new. But gas was like $4.50 a gallon back then so I'd expect that the prices have creeped up again.

Anyway, it's a fabulous vehicle and we've done a few longish road trips in it very comfortably, usually Salt Lake to L.A. and back.

SLC

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
My .02. Thought of a Honda Fit? Great mileage. Lots of room up front. Believe it or not, lots of room for two in the back plus you'll still have room for stuff. Might be a tad underpowered for four plus stuff but hey, just gives you more time to enjoy the ride;) Cheers

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
Hybrids don't get great highway mileage. Their fuel savings are derived from turning the gas engine off under low loads/when stopped. The gas engine isn't going to turn off doing 60 mph. Diesels are far better suited for highway economy (and diesel hybrids are just all around awesome! but not yet commercially available! :()

For the past year plus, I've averaged between 56 and 58 mpg with the cruise set at 60 mph for trips in my hybrid. With the cruise set at 65 mph, my FE is 53 to 55 mpg. No hypermiling - strictly cruise control.

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
I'd say a Honda Oddessy. Hands down the winner in this one...

Diesel costs considerably more than gas (at least around here), so it would have to get much better mileage to even break even, and then where is the advantage?

The Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter gets MUCH better mileage than anything in its direct class in the US.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter gets MUCH better mileage than anything in its direct class in the US.
I'll just have to take your word for it, since I never even heard of the Sprinter before. Diesel costs about 40% more at current prices than gas around here, so it would have to get 40% better to break even. Since a Chrysler Town & Country (or similar) minivan gets about 25mpg highway, that would mean about 35mpg highway in US gallons. A quick Google search (admittedly it could be wrong or outdated) showed the Sprinter in the 25-30mpg range highway.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
anything bigger than a civic :)

i have gone many places while touring in a sprinter - but i prefer a 3 row SUV or whatever (especially if i'm not driving).

tethered and was surfing the internet for 10 hours on the way to West Palm Beach, FL last week!

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
If you're planning on renting, you're looking at classes of cars, not specific cars, as they vary from location to location.

Mid-size sedans like a Pontiac G6 would probably be OK, but you're better off going for the full size "luxury", something like a Buick Lucerne/ Ford Crown Vic/ Lincoln Town Car. Comfy seats with plenty of leg room, and a smooth suspension, that is the biggest benifit of the "luxury" class cars.

It will cost you less than renting a mini van or SUV, and will also be easier on fuel.

Hint: If you think you're going to be OK with a Mid-size, go a head and reserve it, but when you get on the lot to pick it up, ask to see if you can get an on-site upgrade to a "luxury" class car, usually they will do it for very little additional cost, well below the cost had you reserved that vehicle normally. Of course I wouldn't count on the upgrade, it is possible that you will get there and they'll have nothing else but the mid-size car you reserved, so keep that in mind.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
My .02. Thought of a Honda Fit? Great mileage. Lots of room up front. Believe it or not, lots of room for two in the back plus you'll still have room for stuff. Might be a tad underpowered for four plus stuff but hey, just gives you more time to enjoy the ride;) Cheers

I'm picking up my new Fit in April and driving it from British Columbia to Toronto. I'll report back on the Fit's capabilities as a long-range tourer when I'm finished the trip. :D

For the past year plus, I've averaged between 56 and 58 mpg with the cruise set at 60 mph for trips in my hybrid. With the cruise set at 65 mph, my FE is 53 to 55 mpg. No hypermiling - strictly cruise control.

What sort of hybrid? That's impressive highway mileage - generally hybrids really shine in city driving, and suffer comparatively on the highway.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm picking up my new Fit in April and driving it from British Columbia to Toronto. I'll report back on the Fit's capabilities as a long-range tourer when I'm finished the trip. :D
I'd be interested too. My wife just bought a Scion xD after comparing the Nissan Versa SL, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, and Scion (all on the same day). She thought the Versa was nice but too bland, the Fit was OK but nothing special, and the Yaris was an ugly toy (can they really be serious with this car?). She immediately fell in love with the Scion (and she has always thought that the Scion xB was ugly). I think it has the best ride of the bunch, and certainly is better equipped for the price.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
If you can afford the gas for an SUV, the utility would prove useful. Big, comfy seats are a plus. Another factor you might want to consider is roads--you are likely to hit a few big potholes on a trip like this. Having smaller tires makes a wreck more likely. I know if I were doing such a trip my first choice would definitely be my Ford Explorer SUV.

My second choice would be my Lincoln Town Car. Very soft air ride and extremely comfortable--and the gas mileage isn't too bad. Plus, these are reliable cars that shouldn't give you a problem. Seating is spacious and there's a lot of cargo room.

Good luck on your trip!
Steve

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I'd be interested too. My wife just bought a Scion xD after comparing the Nissan Versa SL, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, and Scion (all on the same day). She thought the Versa was nice but too bland, the Fit was OK but nothing special, and the Yaris was an ugly toy (can they really be serious with this car?). She immediately fell in love with the Scion (and she has always thought that the Scion xB was ugly). I think it has the best ride of the bunch, and certainly is better equipped for the price.

Sadly, Scion isn't available in Canada. Toyota say they have plans to start selling them here in 2010, though.

I tested the Fit, Versa, and Yaris as well, and the Fit comes out the clear winner. Agree with your wife on the Versa: well-priced and well-equipped, but nothing special about it and pretty ugly, imo. The Yaris is okay, but more expensive and less fun than the Fit. I found the Fit to be the best combination of fun to drive, price, and practicality: love the magic seats!

I did some ~3 hour trips in my old Civic hatch, and the Fit is quite a bit nicer than that, but this trip is also quite a bit longer. :D

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Sadly, Scion isn't available in Canada. Toyota say they have plans to start selling them here in 2010, though.

I tested the Fit, Versa, and Yaris as well, and the Fit comes out the clear winner. Agree with your wife on the Versa: well-priced and well-equipped, but nothing special about it and pretty ugly, imo. The Yaris is okay, but more expensive and less fun than the Fit. I found the Fit to be the best combination of fun to drive, price, and practicality: love the magic seats!

I did some ~3 hour trips in my old Civic hatch, and the Fit is quite a bit nicer than that, but this trip is also quite a bit longer. :D
I totally agree, if the Scion had not been available then the Fit would have been the clear winner.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill

Congrats on the Fit! My son loves his 08 Fit Sport MT. Hope that you are getting the Sport....the only way to go. The manual has the smoothest shifter I've ever driven. Fit and finish is really top notch. Utility is just plain awesome. Handling is nice and sharp. As I recall, his first trip (Savannah to Athens) he got 44mpg. He complains bout his mileage in Athens (lots of hills and traffic)...33mpg. Geeeeesh! You'll find that there is a BIG Fit community out there with answers to any and all of your questions. Hmmm, he just went on a trip with 3 friends...Athens to Destin, FL for Spring break. Have to ask him how the trip went when he comes home Friday. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.