Best long range? wifi router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wallace, May 28, 2017.

1. Wallace macrumors member

Wallace

I currently have an older (the flat one) AirPort Extreme router. In general im pretty happy with it since it reliably and easy to use. Only downfall is the range. I don't have a large house but in in the corner of certain rooms the wifi signal is weak which leads to slow internet speeds.

Can someone recommend a great wifi router which has a long range, is reliable, easy to setup and works well with Apple products?

Seems like there a ton of new products out there from Linksys, Acer etc. out there.

Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You might be better off investigating the new "mesh" systems out there, such as:
    - Netgear Orbi
    - Linksys Velop
    - Google wifi
    - eero
    - luma
    etc.

Note: The Orbi is the only one that sets up from a web page (although Velop can be "gotten to" that way as well). All the others are setup via a "smart device" such as an iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

If it's a home installation,why not try with a few wifi repeaters?

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

With most wifi repeaters, it all depends on where the repeater is placed.

Let's say the wifi is great 10 ft from the router and is bad at 40ft, terrible at 50ft and non-existent at 60ft.
    If you place a repeater at 40ft, you are just taking a bad signal and extending that same bad signal further out.

While they can work, it would just have to be implemented properly.

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Of course. I use more than one for My needs,two in the house,and one on the outside of a wall,to get wifi signal in the most frequented part of the garden.

7. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

And I wasn't saying you didn't know this because I didn't either several years ago but many people don't. So I'm just simply trying to share my experience and advice on things I've picked up on over the years.

I went from 1 Aiport Base Station(3rd gen) to a 2nd and wirelessly extending and that's when I found out something wasn't right, still.
    So I then just out of curiosity sake ran an ethernet cable between and hardwire bridged them and that is when the performance came that I thought was acceptable. Then my wife said when are we getting this wire off the floor :) so I ran cable through the attic. Then I discovered other dead spots in the house so I picked up a 3rd AEBS.
    Now I'll also add that I picked up these 2nd and 3rd AEBS off of eBay for $40 for 1 and $35 for the other. I just checked right now and there is a 5th gen (flat) for $20.50.

I eventually moved on from the flat AEBS to the 802.11AC tall model and 2 Base stations were able to cover what 3 of the flat models were able to. I sold my old equipment and moved on, getting a little better equipment and slowly adding on until I ended up having a wireless network I am happy with.