Best Looking Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vorbb, Aug 20, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

What's the best looking flash drive that would look great with a Macbook Pro?

So far I like the IronKey, but it's a tad pricey at $299 for 16 GB of storage (although it's an amazing drive with amazing features; I wouldn't pay $299 for it because I'd only be buying it for the looks!)

Any ideas?

(https://www.ironkey.com/ to see what the ironkey looks like)

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then there is the high-speed version:
    [​IMG]

You push onto the back, the GB description disappears and on the other side there comes an USB-plug to light.

I always wondered why there are no FW800 sticks though - especially as there are USB 3.0 sticks with SSD technology now.
    Well, at least they existed some time ago:
    [​IMG]

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"So far I like the IronKey, but it's a tad pricey at $299 for 16 GB of storage (although it's an amazing drive with amazing features; I wouldn't pay $299 for it because I'd only be buying it for the looks!)"

You would pay _$300_ for a 16gig flash drive?

Really?

Really?

Seriously, who in their right minds would buy a simple "commodity" like a flashdrive based on _looks_?

Just buy for price first, with performance second if you care to research that.

But for looks?????

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmm why not people buy cars for that purpose , laptops ,and lots of other things pure for the looks , so why not flash drives here are strong contender to win that
    covered with pure titanium, the Incrudo flash drive sports a ruby and boasts of a sturdy body that can withstand every kind of rough handling. Since titanium is considered to be resistant to corrosion, this drive is protected against any kind of water assault. Another element that renders sturdiness to this drive is the composite super-hard ceramic. The hardened panels of this 8GB drive provide unquestionable protection, as it is the same material that is used in space shuttles and Formula 1 racing cars. For $831,

[​IMG]

but i am more practical and bought this 8Gb drive from PICO and its shock and water resistant , it is available in the us for $49
    [​IMG]

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

That is a funny marketing hype. The shuttle's tiles are actually quite brittle and will crack when even mildly thumped. They are, of course, quite heat resistant. Having a flash drive made of this ceramic would be great.... if it was dropped off the ISS and re-entered the atmosphere.

I don't know where the ceramic is used on an F1 car, but sturdiness during collisions is not something I associate with F1.

Way Way back, when they were still designing the shuttle, NASA published the criteria for what the heat shield tiles needed to do (at that time they weren't invented yet). They had to be able to absorb a great deal of heat over a period of time. Once the tiles were back into "room temperature" conditions the outside had to cool down very quickly so that the skin of the shuttle that they were attached to could cool down before being heat damaged (though presumably the inside of the tiles could stay hot for while during their cool down period.)

Before calling for proposals for a company to invent this material, NASA ran the characteristics of every material that they know about through their computers to see if something already known about was good enough, or close enough to start with. The best known match was...... Apple Pie. Think about it - hot filling, cool crust.

NASA decided to contract for a new substance to act as a heat shield. :)

7. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Brake discs, exhaust components, and a spray coating on areas affected by extreme heat from the exhaust. None of which has much to do with sturdiness, as you say.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Ahh.... thanks! :) I learn something new everyday.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

in F1 ceramics are used in the electronics parts as they can handle more physical stress then others especially heat , so in theory you should be able to throw that little flashdrive in a fryer without harming it or in boiling water
    and the ceramics are also used on the space shuttle and they can withstand the impact of small debris flying in outer space like asteroids for example but more of some leftovers from old satellites :D

10. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Black IronKey

New 32GB IronKey. Full of win.

My only complaint is that the secure on-board Firefox does not work with Mac. Yet.

m&c

Attached Files:

11. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

the best looking drives... at dinner time

Attached Files:

12. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Love the budwieser one, is there actually liquid that moves around in there?

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

My thoughts exactly. Though the reason the Ironkey drives are so expensive is not because of looks - they have hardware encryption that pushes the cost way up. I suppose the price is reasonable if you work for the CIA or a security firm and need to protect data in a portable storage device. But for the average person it's total overkill. I have a tendency to misplace key drives, so I usually go for the cheaper ones. I don't care what they look like as long as they aren't cheesy or so clunky that they don't fit into my Macbook Pro slot area.

14. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Really?

You pick on the guy for wanting to buy a $300 flash drive when he specifically says he wouldn't?

Really?