Best/lowest-price SSD for MBP 13" 2010?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Mar 18, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have the MB 13" Pro 2010(MacBookPro7,1) and want to remove the DVD drive and insert an SSD.

I'm looking for 120-180GB as a boot drive to the 500gb the laptop came with. Any recommendations would help. I checked out storagereview.com but not sure which of the newer drives are compatible.

My MB system profiler states :

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Should I get the older 3gb/second drives or the new 6GB/s drives?

Are the new SSD drives like the OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 6Gb/s interface compatible with the 2010 MB Pros?

I was interested in getting the newer 6gb/s drives in case I upgrade laptop next year.

I'm looking to spend about 200-300.

Thanks.

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

3. boontech macrumors newbie

I have the same question, im have the 2010 macbook pro i7.

I have looked at OWC but i live in the UK, they do ship but it would be easier if i had problems to have a UK supplier.

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Depending on what you want to get and assuming that money is priority one, I would keep an eye on slickdeals. Buy.com has been having a lot of deals on the kingston v+ series ssd's lately. About 160ish after rebate for the 128gb model. Also, they had the x25m 128gb for 169 after rebate last week. Hopefully this helps your comparisons. OWC is grossly overpriced IMO.

5. Terrador macrumors regular

+1 on the OWC drives. They are the most aggressively priced SSD's on the market and they are faster than the ones Apple uses.

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I don't understand how people think owc isn't overpriced?

7. fishert16 macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a refurbished corsair f240 from micro center for 289.99 and picked up a square trade warranty since it only came with a 30 day warranty. I have had it installed on my new mbp 13" i7 and haven't had an issue.

8. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

It's kind of like how some people don't think Apple is overpriced.

If you value quality and excellent customer service (+performance), then OWC is the way to go.

Intel is very reliable, no problems, but expensive and not as good in performance compared to the market.
    Apple stock, well... that's not an option for you.
    OCZ is great performer but a crap company. My father's lab's Vertex 2s broke down after a year and they refused to honor the warranty even though we bought it from a OCZ reseller in Korea. Now he buys Samsung SSDs. And not to mention the 32->25nm debacle...

9. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

That clears it up. Thanks :) I didn't know much about owc prior to hearing about it in these forums. I agree with intel and ocz opinions as well.

10. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

OCZ on sale

Thanks for all the replies. I saw sale on OCZ Vertex 2 240GB 2.5" Serial ATA 3Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive, model no. OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G, for $379.99 285MB/s maximum read speed and 275MB/s maximum write speed.)

What do you think of this deal? I might just go with OWC since I have heard good things about their support. But 240gb for $380 seems like a steal. HELP!

Do you also know if Final Cut Express and other apps that use scratch disk heavily will get a speed boost from an additional Western Digital Scorpio Black hard disk used as a scratch drive? If not, I might just remove the WD and not spend $75 for a OWC optibay cage.

Thanks.

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OWC just came out with a new 360 version software to fix the hibernation bug users were having. If you buy an OWC, make sure you call them and ensure you get a SSD with the latest version firmware.

Here is an interesting OWC blog post about OCZ using non-spec memory in their SSD.

13. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone having problems with OCZ 240gb drive for $380? I read the OWC blog and was turned off since they allegedly use bad chips. Is this true of fear-mongering by OWC?

How are the Kingston SSD drives? Much cheaper.

14. blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

I'm just curious, but how can you determine that the OWC drives are faster than the ones Apple provides? What do you use to measure that performance? Any reference URL's?

Also, what about TRIM support from OWC (or any 3rd party manufacturer) how do they manage the wear-leveling on the SSD's over time?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It seems like OWC would be exposing themselves to significant libel claims from OCZ if they just made this up, so it seems unlikely they fabricated this. Couple this new discovery with the previous OCZ behavior on the Vertex 2 chip swap they did and they (OCZ) are not someone I would do business with.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a test.

17. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks W. I will probably go with the OWC.

18. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great link. Thanks for posting. Really informative.

19. blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

Thanks for sharing that link :)