Best mac apps for a switcher

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
What are some good Mac apps for a Mac switcher? Just general apps please, nothing like photoshop or aperature.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
When I first switched AppZapper was an app I really appreciated. Coming from Windows you expect to have some sort of uninstaller.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Thanks guys, but the begginer guide really lists alot, what are the best of the best?

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
balamw said:
What do you need/want to do?

B
I surf the web alot and like to watch/rip videos. Other than that I cannot think of much other than work stuff. BTW: I am not a real switcher, I had a mac with OS 9 and a newer pc, I ended up using the mac till it's death, and then after putting up with the pc for a while I got a new iMac.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Frozonecold said:
I surf the web alot (Camino is my choice at the moment, but Firefox and Safari are good) and like to watch/rip videos (Mactheripper and Handbrake are your friends). Other than that I cannot think of much other than work stuff (NeoOfice is good and free, but you could also consider iWork or MS Office). BTW: I am not a real switcher, I had a mac with OS 9 and a newer pc, I ended up using the mac till it's death, and then after putting up with the pc for a while I got a new iMac.
I've underlined the ones I currently use.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Snapz X pro 2! I think everyone should get this great app! It allows you to capture video of your desktop then save it in any type of format using any kind of codec.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i rely on Safari for web browing, Adium for chatting, and VLC media player for playing any type of media in QuickTime. Quicksilver is a good application launcher and search utility that supplements Spotlight (they are different but similar).

welcome back!

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Josephkyles said:
Snapz X pro 2! I think everyone should get this great app! It allows you to capture video of your desktop then save it in any type of format using any kind of codec.
Why would someone want to do that?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Frozonecold said:
Why would someone want to do that?
Video tutorials, screencasts.. etc.

I'd however recommend the cheaper and easier to use iShowU by ShinyWhiteBox. Google will find ya the addy.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
DXoverDY said:
Video tutorials, screencasts.. etc.

I'd however recommend the cheaper and easier to use iShowU by ShinyWhiteBox. Google will find ya the addy.
Thank you for your explanation.
i rely on Safari for web browing, Adium for chatting, and VLC media player for playing any type of media in QuickTime. Quicksilver is a good application launcher and search utility that supplements Spotlight (they are different but similar).
Why would one need an application launcher?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Frozonecold said:
Thank you for your explanation.Why would one need an application launcher?
Think of it this way. You can add a bunch of apps to your dock... OR.. if you're like me, you can hit Command + Spacebar. Type in "texm" and hit enter and launch TextMate... or "isu" for iShowU, etc. Or any number of other things with QuickSilver.. makes life easier.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
DXoverDY said:
Think of it this way. You can add a bunch of apps to your dock... OR.. if you're like me, you can hit Command + Spacebar. Type in "texm" and hit enter and launch TextMate... or "isu" for iShowU, etc. Or any number of other things with QuickSilver.. makes life easier.
I see now, Thank you.
Okay, what are some good maintainance and backup applications?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Frozonecold said:
I see now, Thank you.

Google search for ONYX for the maintenance. All you need.

For dvd ripping it's - mactheripper, and handbrake

for torrents it's-transmission and Azureus

for browsers it's -camino and Shiira

i don't know if any of those are UB though....

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
quigleybc said:
Google search for ONYX for the maintenance. All you need.

For dvd ripping it's - mactheripper, and handbrake

for torrents it's-transmission and Azureus

for browsers it's -camino and Shiira

i don't know if any of those are UB though....
Does ONYX do backups too?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Frozonecold said:
I see now, Thank you.
I currently backup to StrongSpace.com via rsync. I find it more convenient than backing up to an external HD... though my Mac Pro will be taking advantage of a RAID array to give me around 640gig of storage with mirrors. So I'm not the best with backup "software" really. Others can suggest software for you..

maintanance is easy... "sudo periodic (daily|weekly|monthly)" at the command prompt... occassionally

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
DXoverDY said:
I currently backup to StrongSpace.com via rsync. I find it more convenient than backing up to an external HD... though my Mac Pro will be taking advantage of a RAID array to give me around 640gig of storage with mirrors. So I'm not the best with backup "software" really. Others can suggest software for you..

maintanance is easy... "sudo periodic (daily|weekly|monthly)" at the command prompt... occassionally
How would one go about backing up to an external drive though?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Frozonecold said:
How would one go about backing up to an external drive though?
SuperDuper... just do a search on MacUpdate.com for backup and you'll find a bunch of apps that will let you sync to an external drive.