best mac apps to install apps & uninstall them

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Besides using mac os to install & uninstall apps, what are the best apps out there that can; dwonload from the internet & off a thumb drive all types of files like dmgs, zip files & other odd files types, & install them properly on my mac

And a app that properly & completely uninstalls apps, without leaving thngs in the registry

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is no Registry in Mac OS X, thus seldom un-installers are required.

Installing Applications
    Uninstalling Applications

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Buy a copy of Hazel. While not primarily for this, it has a cool bonus part that scans for deleted apps and removed their prefs.

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well apps install themselves, so that part is solved. For the uninstalling part, I use AppCleaner.

5. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I used to use AppCleaner, until I found a better Snow Leopard freebie called TrashMe.

6. ahm macrumors member

I don't find application removers/uninstallers really necessary in Mac OS.

Besides dragging the application to the trash, if you really want to remove the whopping 15kb an application leaves behind, you can go into 'home(your name)/Library' and check Application Support and Preferences

Example: I have Gruml installed. Associated files are:

/Applications/Gruml
    users/me/Library/Preferences/com.sakya.Gruml.plist
    users/me/Library/Application Support/Gruml

Also, pay attention when you install applications. Sometimes there's an uninstaller in the DMG.

7. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

For uninstall I use TrashMe as well

For searching my mac for trash-able files I use CleanMyMac

Highly recommend both of these

8. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I use AppZapper for uninstalling apps. It does the job and has a quirky sound when you "zap" your apps :p

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr