Best Mac Blu-ray playing software

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by eyeangle, Apr 27, 2014.

1. eyeangle macrumors member

eyeangle

Apparently Macgo Blu-ray player is the best because they're the only Blu-ray playing software authorised by BDA. Refer to here: http://blog.macblurayplayer.com/macgo-has-signed-bd-rom2-flla-with-bda/

...so I bought it for $39.95 only to find that you can't get to the Blu-ray menu, instead they've made a cheap alternative called the "Navigation Panel" which just has a bunch of time codes which are the movie chapters and bonus material. But there's no way of telling which is which.

Their website is very misleading because on their front page they clearly show a Blu-ray menu playing 'The Great Gatsby.' http://www.macblurayplayer.com/ I emailed them and got no response.

If anyone knows an alternative that actually plays the Blu-ray menu, that would be great, thanks.

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

3. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

You might have failed to notice that the latest four or five versions of Mac Blu-ray Player have two Blu-ray menu modes. The fist one, called "Quick Play Mode" is what you seem to call a "cheap alternative". The other mode, named "Blu-ray Menu Mode", is the one you have somehow missed. Although it's still somewhat in the making (after all, OS X doesn't natively recognise Blu-ray discs at all), it seems to work well in most cases.

4. eyeangle thread starter macrumors member

eyeangle

Apple and Sony seem to be fighting a bit. Apple is pushing for movies on iTunes, and Sony on Blu-ray. I still prefer to have the hard copy 50GB version (blu-ray), rather than the 5GB iTunes version.

Yes you're right, that blog has been poorly translated.

I still can't find the "Blu-ray Menu Mode". Probably only available on some Blu-rays.

I suppose I shot myself in the foot without extensively testing the free version first. But there must be other Blu-ray software for OSX that does play the menu...

5. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

No, you are wrong again. The Blu-ray Menu Mode is one of the application's preferences. You simply go to Preferences and then, under "Blu-ray" (naturally), you select Blu-ray Menu Mode as the "Play Mode". You may also want to uncheck "Show development version tip". That's all there is to it.

I don't think there are any OS X Blu-ray players that "play the menu", except this one of course. Contrary to your utterly misinformed claims, this one "does play the menu".

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I've never had any issues with this App. For me, it was and continues to be money well spent. You just need to configure the program properly to suit your needs. The default setting is "Quick Play". As stated above by PeterHolbrook you need to change that setting for menus.

7. eyeangle thread starter macrumors member

eyeangle

You little ripper! Thanks so much for your help.