Best Mac-compatible ISP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zackkmac, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Currently, we are on our 2nd satellite Internet provider, from a local company to HughesNet [DirecWay]. I must say, it really just sucks. Half the time, the browsing is slower than dialup, and the download speeds are...well let's just say that I'm trying to download a 2.65MB file and it has 10 minutes remaining.

My parents are considering an ISP switch, and now that I'm about to buy the first Mac of the family, we need one that's Mac compatible. We can't get cable, as we're too far away from the highway [we live down a long private road, only house on it]. We were thinking about DishNetwork High Speed Internet by Satellite, but...what do you think?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's the same internet. There is no such thing as "Mac-compatible." Forget any software they provide, it's just coasters/frisbees anyway. Pick whomever gives the best price/performance/service.

3. antibact1 macrumors 6502

If you want to make sure it will run on your Mac, ask the ISP if they are using the Mac compatible internet tubes or not. If they aren't you may have some problems with the PC internet clogging the tubes.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Don't go with a Satellite provider (or wireless, like that Clearwire crap). DSL or Cable. Doesn't matter which.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Fixed that for you. :p

OP already said that cable's out of the question. Don't know if DSL's an option for them, either.

6. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks and is Verizon FiOS DSL? We're uneligible for that because there's no Verizon cellular service here until the Verizon-Alltel purchase is finished.

I'll check around for DSL and see what I come up with. How does it work?

7. f1 macrumors 6502

DSL runs over your copper telephone lines. Even though it runs over your phone lines it does not interfere with your home TELEPHONE service and offers extremely fast speeds due to the fact it operates on a different frequency on that line. FIOS is not DSL, FiOS is a consumer grade fibre optic network, offers much faster speeds, but is only available in selected areas.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

My guess is that if the OP is too far to get cable, then DSL is almost certainly out of the question since it's extremely dependent on distance.

One of my friends is in a similar location where they live far out a private road with ISDN being the fastest wired option. They've had terrible experience with satellite service as well. Currently they're using a radio based connection (big antenna mounted to a barn) which is equally as fast as any cable connection, though it's still not as reliable.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I use O2 and because my iPhone is with them I get a £5 per month discount. Everything has been great from them.

10. Pixellated macrumors 65816

They're a cable network and they're in the UK.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Where does the OP state that they aren't also in the UK?

They are predominantly a wireless network actually and offer 3 different methods of getting Internet to your computer.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

O2 isn't a cable provider. Their broadband internet services are delivered either by 3G over the air, or via a BT telephone line.

The only consumer cable provider in the UK is Virgin Media.