Best Mac Diagnostic & Repair App?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bazzy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

The one thing that frustrates the hell out of me is that for noobs like me, when something goes wrong on ones Mac - it is a absolute nightmare trying to figure out how to fix it or get rid of the problem without being a rocket scientist on mac architecture and software code.

I then have to spend days on end shooting in the dark, browsing forums for answers and wasting valuable time trying all sorts of different things which do not usually solve the problem.

For example, I am getting constant spinning wheels on my June 2009 17" 2.8 MBP. I have tried multiple repair permissions, PRAM resets, techtool pro deluxe, Preferential Treatment, Safari resets, Applejack, ClamXav, etc and none have worked.

Is there a programme out there that constantly monitors your system and 1) Detects when something is wrong, broken, corrupted, damaged or in conflict? 2) Informs you of this as it happens 3) Diagnoses the problem(s) and its/their source? 4) Fixes or Repairs the Issue for You? 5) Stops it from happening again 6) Constantly keeps your system clean and ensures it is always operating at optimum performance? If not something very similar or like they have in Windows where it interactively asks and suggests possible fixes and then carries them out?

Surely, someone at Apple must have figured out the need for something like this? I have Onyx but it is just way too complicated a programme for someone like me to use.

Also, sometimes I find doing simple things like running a particular app or doing a simple task or something on the internet will cause a very high and heavy load on the CPU's and the temperatures then drastically rise. How is it that one of the latest and greatest high performance notebooks around gets to use so much CPU load by just a simple thing like running a single app or browsing the internet?

Bazzy!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

iStat

Also, try running Disk Utility's repair and verify functions on your hard drive.

3. Bazzy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Do you mean istat-pro? How does that identify and get rid of issues? I have done repair & verify disk a number of times already with no joy.

I am really surprised at how very little tools there are that non-techie users can use and understand considering owning an apple should make ones life easier. It is like having a Cancer inside one's body but just because one is not aware of it, one deludes themselves that nothing is wrong!

Bazzy!

4. krx macrumors member

If there's a tool that does what you describe I would happily pay for it!

In the meantime one option for you might be to make an appt at the Genius Bar.