Best Mac for Internet & Media User

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SuperAcer79, Feb 1, 2008.

1. SuperAcer79 macrumors member

My five year old Sony Vaio desktop pc is showing signs of aging and giving hints that it's time to move-on to something newer/faster/better. I was raised on Macs, then "converted" to PC's in college 10 yrs ago during the internet boom and now after hearing all the negative reports about Windows Vista, I am strongly considering switching back to Macintosh. I feel that a Macintosh will be more trouble free, require less constant system updating, be less of a memory hog, have better resale value and won't go obsolete as quickly. I usually keep a desktop on average 4-5 yrs. I mainly use a desktop computer to surf the interet via cable modem, burn music cd's/dvd's and watch youtube clips. I often have 6 or more Internet Explorer windows open at once along with Windows media player and it's frustrating when the computer "hangs" or thinks to much. So I need a lot of ram. I'm not a techie and want something that's plug n play and will last a long time. I basically want to buy the machine and not have to do anything to it (except for buying an OS upgrade) for 4 yrs. I don't play video games, do graphics processing, or do anything with photos. My first hunch was to get an IMac, since it seemed like the sweet spot, but after spending a couple hours reading hundreds of posts about the faulty screens on the new aluminum 20" and 24" Imac and people not liking the glossy look, I'm reluctant to buy an Imac. I currently have a 17" Sony LCD which came with my VAIO that I'm very happy with. A quality crisp high resolution screen that's easy on the eyes is a must, since I spend a lot of time on the computer each day and wear eyeglasses. I don't want to get eye strain. Would a 20" or 234" Apple Cinema monitor help me view multiple windows open at once more and be easier on the eyes (is bigger always better)? Would a Sony brand LCD work on a Mac? I've had great luck with Sony CRT and LCD monitors in the past as well as their trinitron televisions.
    As to the desktop itself, I'm thinking a MacPro might be overkill for my needs and a MacMini too underpowered, whcih leaves me to the older white IMac's (since I assume they don't have LCD problems right?). I see a lot of G5's for sale in the classifieds but I'm kind of reluctant to buy an older style processor for fear the newer apps and os's might not support it or be optimized for it. What would you all do? Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

my advice would be to ignore the FUD and buy a 24" iMac. Wonderful screen, excellent performance and good value for money. Should keep you going for many years. We have several Alu iMacs at work and they've all been first rate.

If you really don't want the iMac, then consider a refurb Mac Pro. Big saving over new and a machine that's likely to last you 6-8 years or more. Don't bother with the Apple display unless you're producing professional artwork and need the nth level of colour consistency - Dell, HP and Samsung all produce nice quality displays at much lower cost.

Personally, I'd go for the iMac....

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I think a 234" screen will be plentyful. :eek:

Personally, I think a mac mini and a nice display would suit your needs, otherwise get an iMac. The problems are a non-issue. Get applecare if its a reliablity issue. I wouldnt get a PPC, just in case things start to go all intel.

My macbook easily handles iTunes, and about 4-6 safari windows with ease, so an mac mini would do fine. iMac maybe last a bit longer though.

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

it sounds to me like for what you are going to be doing with the computer, the top of the line mac mini would not be too underpowered

5. SuperAcer79 thread starter macrumors member

Do you all think a Mac Mini would run Os X well and last a couple years?