Best Mac for music production on a budget

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eltico, Jun 19, 2007.

1. eltico macrumors newbie

I am getting pretty serious about recording and producing my own music. I am fairly sure that I want to start using a Mac. What would be the ideal Mac desktop to buy? My price range ends at about $1500-$2000. Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. wgkealey macrumors member

I advice getting a G4 with top of the line ram and HD space.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A G5 at least surely?

TBH An Intel Machine will be much better as it'll last much longer as PPC is dead now and the software you want to run in 2-3 years may well not run on PPC Macs.

Even a Intel Mini will be way quicker than a G4 and you can use external HD's for storage (and the RAM limit is the same, 2GB).

5. dex22 macrumors regular

I know you said desktop, but you could buy a macbook and get a more useful, portable recording facility. With the change, you could buy a couple of decent mikes and a USB or firewire XLR/line/mic input...

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You can get a 20" 2.16GHz iMac C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, for $1,674. This should suffice for your needs (unless you need a larger HDD- which is a $200 upgrade for 500GB). :)

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Haha, judging from the recommendations, I'll just go with "Any" Mac will do the job great for you as long as its in your budget.

I would even say an Intel Mini would work great.

8. wgkealey macrumors member

My definition of budget is probably a little different.

9. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Well he told us his budget, and if he is as serious about recording music as he says he is I doubt he would want to use a G4. I say either go for a MB or an iMac depending if the portability factor would be helpful.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

My son upgraded his ProTools rig from a G4/Digi001 to an iMac G5 20"/Digi002R and was blown away by the improvement in performance.

An iMac Intel with modern recording software is a great unit. Just budget for some additional external Firewire drive space.

11. sonarghost macrumors regular

I am running Logic 7.2 very well in my 24" imac (2.33Ghz, 2 Gig ram, 500 Gig HD) This is a great machine that I push to the limit on a consistent basis! You have a lot of screen "real estate" for opening multiple windows and tweaking plugins in the arrange page. Regardless of what you decide to get i HIGHLY recommend to by an INTEL based machine. Many plug in manufacturers are making the "move" away from the PPC macs.:)