Best Mac for Power Browsing + Spreadsheets for Work

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mothra's Wing, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Mothra's Wing, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Mothra's Wing macrumors newbie

Hi, I thought this forum could point me in the right direction for selecting the right Mac for my workstation.

I need a Mac that can be fast when handling two or three open web browsers (using ad blocker) with a total of about 20-30 open tabs plus two or three open medium-sized spreadsheets (2-3MB files, 2000+ rows) on two displays, one of them at least a 2560 x 1440 display.

I usually have two or three desktops open on Mission Control with Mail (thousands of messages), Adium, Dropbox, Google Drive, Spotify or iTunes and a couple other apps always open at any given time.

My current mid-2011 Core i7 Mac Mini eventually runs slower and slower after half a day with 15+ GB virtual memory and some limited swapping on 8GB installed physical memory. I've had 16GB memory installed and it got slow as well and eventually corrupted over time. Numbers, Mail, Safari/Chrome seem to suck the most memory (~6GB) and CPU resources.

I also have a 4TB external drive connected which is set to spin down when necessary. Whenever the drive spins up, it causes the beach ball to spin for about 2-3 seconds.

Not sure where the bottleneck is, if it's the dual-core Core i7 cpu, the memory or the weak 256 MB AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics or something else.

I'd be open to an iMac or a Macbook or even another MacMini to go with the existing displays. MacPro seems unnecessary to me, but convince me :)

Appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

27 inch imac

This seems to be what you need max out the Ram to 32gb and the rest will be good enough for what you do. I would say sod it and go with the 5K version though, after all why not.