Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Hi macbook pro i5 or imac 27" quad core i5?
im going into programming and want a mac for iphone programming aswell. Which would be the best?
im thinking iMac
thanks

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
You don't really want to simulate a 1Ghz processor on a machine running a quad core processor running almost 3 times faster. Screen size is always nice, though. Split the difference and go with a 21" iMac.

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Isn't the core 2 duo getting outdated?
I woul rather have an updated one like because I will probably have it for about 2 years until I go uni

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Why would you need such a fast machine to program on? You can program for the iPhone just fine on a CoreDuo Macbook.

You don't really want to simulate a 1Ghz processor on a machine running a quad core processor running almost 3 times faster. Screen size is always nice, though. Split the difference and go with a 21" iMac.

There is no information that confirms the processor of the iPhone runs at 1Ghz.

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
21.5" chipset update

Iv decided to go with the iMac 21.5" but I'll wait. Do you think that apple will put the i5 and i7 into the 21.5" soon?
Cheers

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Iv decided to go with the iMac 21.5" but I'll wait. Do you think that apple will put the i5 and i7 into the 21.5" soon?
Cheers

Why not consult the buyer's guide? https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iMac

Personally if portability isn't a concern I would go with the Mac mini and buy two 30 inch screens for it. I like having a lot of real estate when programming, so I don't have to move windows around.

unixham

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2007
Personally if portability isn't a concern I would go with the Mac mini and buy two 30 inch screens for it. I like having a lot of real estate when programming, so I don't have to move windows around.

Mac Mini supports 2 displays with up to 2560x1600 on the mini display port and 1920x1200 on the mini dvi/dvi port.

So the mini will only drive one 30" at full res and one 24" at full res.
That said, the point is valid, a mini will give you serious realestate.

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Iv changed my mind to the 27" again lol
Anybody got one, specs review etc mutely appreciated :)
Cheers

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I mean I will be using it for 2 years but will keep it and get a MacBook pro fir uni

zaffle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
Iv changed my mind to the 27" again lol
Anybody got one, specs review etc mutely appreciated :)
Cheers
there are endless reviews on the net of the 27" c2d, but not many of the i5 and i7.

my review of the i7: bloody blisteringly fast. should hope so too as i intend this to be my primary system for 4+ years.

reeceado

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Hi
I'm saving up for a mac now so I'm going to be waiting till the update :) USB 3.0 sounds cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.