Best MAC games you played?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by brandiop, May 24, 2019.

1. brandiop macrumors newbie

Looking for suggestion..
    I play not that often but when I do I want something that will keep me going..
    So far the games I played just lost my interest.
    Any suggestion?

2. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

What kinds of games generally attract your attention?

3. Bertrude macrumors member

Bertrude

Rocket League is perhaps my fave. It's so much fun and is a great example of a game that's easy to pick up and play just to have fun, yet is hard to master and will require some playtime to get good. Great for short sessions or extended runs. Love it, probably my game of the generation.

4. lantree, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019

lantree macrumors member

Have you tried

Alien Isolation
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Surviving Mars

Wasted many hours with these ,best thing you don't even need bootcamp.
    Still keep thinking that dam Alien is going to jump out and have me for dinner (again)

Edit: Forgot portal 2......

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My favorite Mac games so far: Baldur's Gate I + II, Icewind Dale, Civilization IV + VI, Heroes of Newerth, Diablo I + II, Realmz, Escape Velocity: Nova, WOW vanilla up to WotLK, Warcraft II + III, Half Life 2, Marathon series, The Dig, Borderlands 2, Divine Divinity: Original Sin, FTL, Homeworld 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island I + II, Prey, Loony Labyrinth, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Starcraft I, SteamWorld Dig, The Witcher, Assassin's Creed 2, Atom Zombie Smasher, Bioshock I + II, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Capsized, Blood Bowl, Heroes of Might and Magic II, Summoner.

6. Bertrude macrumors member

Bertrude

Perhaps worth a mention is that if you're happy to install the Epic Games Launcher, they're currently giving away a different game every week, some of which have Mac versions. Enter the Gungeon is this weeks freebie.

7. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Thanks for the tip! I was interested in checking out that game.

8. kipwheeler macrumors regular

kipwheeler

If you like galactic conquest games, I've been enjoying Stellaris and its various expansions.

It's the basic 4X "design-your-alien-race" game in which you start on a single planet, then try to take over the galaxy through either military conquest, diplomatic alliances, or trade. Early game is a lot of sending out explorer vessels, uncovering archeology sites, and creating colonies.

Mid-game is a bunch of diplomacy, border-wars with neighbors, either doing genocide (if you're playing mean) or assimilating of new species into your federation (if you're playing nice) and up-teching as fast as you can research.

Late-game, you probably have a quarter of the galaxy under your control, and then some semi-random event comes (A.I. uprising, invaders from other dimensions, or ancient powers waking up to reclaim the galaxy) that usually shakes up the political scene heavily.

It has a lot of fun flavor tech choices that appear as semi-randomized options, and picking one tech means you are more likely to get similar techs as options later. So, one game, you may end up playing a race that starts genetically engineering themselves and deals with internal schisms as one breed competes with another. In the next game, you may end up investing heavily in cybernetics to make supersoldiers, then upload your entire species into robotic bodies. In another game, you may end up as a fanatic cult of telepathic psions, or as an interstellar drug cartel.

The only drawback is that between mid-game and late-game you may end up in a holding pattern, putting the game on fast-forward to skip through dull parts as the research chains get slower and you have a stasis with politics when you are too strong for others to attack, but their defenses are too strong for you to really invade without a bloody nose.