Best Mac Internal 1TB Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stabsteer, Apr 21, 2008.

1. stabsteer macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm looking to add 3 internal drives (not in a raid) to my new mac pro to use for virtual music instrument software.

I've decided to go with either the Seagate 1TB (5yrs warranty) or the Samsung Spindisk 1TB. (3yrs warranty)

Would I be better off with the standard Seagate Barracuda 11 or paying a little more for the Enterprise version? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148278)

Also, does it matter if you purchase OEM versus retail. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the box they come in?

Thanks for any insights!

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Go for the Seagates. I'd probably go and just get the Barracudas. I think they both have 5-year warranties, and the Enterprise version is meant for server use. I purchased two 1 TB Maxtors last month at Frys for $199.99 each, which wasn't a bad deal at all. Essentially, Maxtors are just rebranded Seagates, only to have 3-year warranties as opposed to 5-year warranties.

As for OEM and retail, generally OEMs are going to be cheaper because they don't include cables of any sort. So you get just the bare drive. If you need the cables, get the retail as they include an SATA cable and a 4-prong to SATA power cable. If you already have cables, get OEM.

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I second it, I have 3 Seagate barracudas, & 1 150 GB Raptor.