Best Mac OS for Ibook G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skinniezinho, Jan 22, 2009.

1. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,I would like to know your opinion about wich Mac OS should I put in my ibook g3 (sig).
    Currently it came with 10.4.11 but I feel it somehow slow sometimes (of course it is normal for a machine of this age).

What I do with my ibook is:

Internet (wifi wpa peap with tkip=»eduroam @university)
    Read Pdfs (I use skim,but it only supports 10.4)
    Read some word documents (microsoft office 2004 has to work)
    some msn messenger (If I move backwards,I can use older versions of adium right?)
    and that's all..maybe some old games...

Will it got better with some older version of macos,or it is +- the same?
    give your opinion :D

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

since its slow with tiger, id say go with panther as it isnt as resource heavy

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I was running 10.3.9 on my 800mhz G4 till the day I got rid of it. (I stupidly passed up on the 10.4 upgrade, and it couldn't run 10.5)

It ran very well, but I was limited in my program choices as a lot of stuff requires >10.4, Adium being a big one in my case.

4. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that is what I am afraid off...most of the apps that I see require 10.4 or more,but I do see some people with macos still doing "normal things",will panther apps be easier to found than for 9?
    (sorry my bad english)
    This G3 is not my main computer,I only take it for school to read the pdfs and so..

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

id take a look at this webiste

it has older versions of programs that most likly will have 10.3 support
    http://oldapps.com/

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

In spite of the tough time finding software for OS9, you will find that the G3 is a speed demon running OS9 compared to even Panther.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

10.4.11 should work ok on one of those, with two exceptions. One is not enough RAM, which is not your problem, or a HDD that is 70% or more occupied. I ran into both of these at different times.

8. cMacSW macrumors regular

I'm running 10.4.11 on a ibook G3, yeah it's slow but not too bad.

9. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never looked for OS9 software.I never ran OS9,maybe it should be a little hardcore for me..

It works,but sometimes is slow,I don't have neither memory nor hdd space "problems".

Yes it is not too bad,far from that,it is "acceptable"..but if I could do the same things I do in it and a little faster better :)
    Have you ever had any previou os X in your Ibook?Is the speed worth the "pain" that is looking for software?
    thanks all of you :)

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You can try to disable the Dashboard. That sucks up a lot of your most needed CPU and memory.

Tiger ran fine for me when I had a 600mhz and a 900mhz iBook both with 640mb too.

11. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip,maybe that can be just what I needed.
    Tomorrow or even today I'll do it and post results :D

12. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I would personally go with Panther, as it doesn't seem like you really need the other features.
    Or Snow Leopard.
    Just kiddin'.:D

13. gamer2502 macrumors regular

Go with panther if you want speed but if you want added features and a better os go for tiger.:apple:

14. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

This tip made a lot of difference,are there any other "tweaks" that can help?

I think one day I'll try panther,but first I'll have to have time and patience to search for compatible software.

15. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

+1 for panther, some old school mac never hurt no body.

16. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Some people actually claimed that Tiger runs faster then Panther. That's just what has been said...

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you're using Word, you may notice that typing can result in a lot of lag. You'll type something and the letters will show up on screen a few seconds later.

Anyways, to combat this, make sure you turn off "Live Word Counting". It'll speed things up dramatically. I think it's in the Preferences menu, but if not, just look around.

ft

18. skinniezinho thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the tip.
    Decided to give panther a try,,at first glance it seemed not faster than tiger,but after some updates and usage,it is really fast.
    The only thing I oculdn't get to work was steermouse,can't seem to find version 2.1 anywhere :!
    edit:
    2n thing:
    java version,while trying to load jdownloader it said I needed an updated java version,from what I understand I only can get that with tiger right?