Best mac pro ever

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ctrlzone, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ctrlzone macrumors regular

ctrlzone

Apple should just legalize Hackintosh and allow macOS on any Hardware just like PCs

don't tell me its not possible, they just apply some "magic" :)

that would increase mac market share by a LARGE margin.

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

3. JMacHack macrumors 6502

1. Market share is a crap measurement. Quality products are first and foremost, market share should not be a concern.

2. Hackintosh is already legal.

3. MacOS runs on just about any hardware already, just not smoothly.

4. They've done this before Steve returned, all it resulted in was terrible Mac clones cannibalizing sales.

In short, there's Zero benefit.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

No thanks. It's not about market share. "People who are serious about making software make their own hardware". That was the core of Jobs' belief.

Apple have never had the best hardware with regards to the most powerful components available. But the decisions they make often results in what they believe is the best rounded product.

What you're pining for is certainly nothing new as we read it all the time, but it's contrary to Apple's mentality. I appreciate why you think that, yet it's inherently incompatible.

5. ctrlzone thread starter macrumors regular

ctrlzone

this is not true

1. i do not measure by market share, i said it would increase market share by a large margin, thats not deniable
    and users would benefit from an increase in many ways

2. No, officially your only allowed to install macOS on Apple devices

3. it does not run on any hardware

4. at that moment apple wasn't apple really

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Never happen. Allowing MacOS clones would only devalue the brand. Soon a race to the bottom, along with a few premium brand clones. Shoddy, cheap MacOS computers with bad support would end up making consumers think Apple in general is bad.

7. ctrlzone thread starter macrumors regular

ctrlzone

thats a valid point

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It's really not. The tight coupling between hardware and software is a huge factor in why Mac OS is far more stable and speedier at operations than Windows machines are.

At a previous job I had we had labs set to test all kinds of different configurations and Macs simply outperformed Windows machines even with lower specced hardware.

That isn't a slam against Windows, its just simply a trade off for the sheer compatibility Windows has.

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Horse hockey, to quote Kernel Potter.

Trying to support every PC under the Sun would devalue the brand.

However, supporting a few "Apple Edition" Z-series with an approved subset of options would be very different from "open licensing".

Whether available at "apple.com" or "hp.com", you see a BTO menu of options that are supported. (Or, hope-against-hope - some options at "hpe.com" so that real high-end hardware is supported running Apple OSX.)

Bringing up the clone issues from the last millennium is ludicrous. Surely after 20 years the amigos could figure out a business model that works.

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

OS won't matter much in a decade. You'll use many apps and devices a they'll work harmoniously together, and users won't notice the existence of an OS unless they really need it as part of a technical workflow. But even the way we use files and folders will change with blockchains, AI, pre-emptive contextual behaviours, etc

11. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Except for those with religious attachments to certain operating systems. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    And some testers find Windows faster than Apple OSX on the same hardware.

It depends on your applications and test methodology.

To say "Macs simply outperformed Windows machines" just doesn't stand up to the smell test.

12. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

To a certain extent then Apple seems quite content to let the Hackintosh Hobbyists get on with there thing
    There are numerous websites out there for Hack enthusiasts and Apple does nothing to shut them down.

Providing is individuals then Apple seems content to let people do them, however they aren't selling pre-built systems with Mac OS installed.

Add enough drivers and use a standard UEFI implementation and no reason couldn't do this. You would of course though lose that differentiation of what makes a Mac a Mac with the tight integration of hardware and software.

Sogoing to see that stability fall and the sales of Mac's crumble as Apple wouldn't be able charge such a premium which they wouldn't be happy about it.

The way it is at the moment then Apple still gets it's margins, enthusiasts get to tinker, they still use the Apple EcoSystem so getting people that wouldn't otherwise go Apple involved.

Apple tried clones to make the same success that the clone market did for market share for Microsoft/intel but almost lead to Apple going bust. Not going to do the same thing again.

13. iamtheonlyone4ever Suspended

iamtheonlyone4ever

where do i start, let me see

1 many people talk about macs market share being low but they are not counting the hackinstosh because they are not real macs even if they are running mac os
    if you count the hackintosh you will find out that mac os market is much bigger
    not only that but many hackintosh builders have monster pc hardware better than any average windows pc

2 hackintosh is not legal as far as i know

3 mac os do not run on just any hardware, you need to know compatibility before building a hackintosh and stick to native support as much as possible to then have a hackintosh that can run smoothly, if you really think that my hackintosh doesn't run smooth i can easily upload benchmarks results for you
    my hackintosh is extremely super fast and stable, yes very smooth

4 do you know that many hackintosh users like me spend money in the app store,
    so how that is not going to be beneficial for apple
    if you are spending money
    as long as you spend money Tim is happy
    :D

14. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

They did that already in the mid 90's clones were OK but they did little to help Apple or increase user base numbers for mac os 7.6.1

15. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Please don't bring up the Clone Wars. Mistakes from a different era.

Apple was a computer company in the '90s. Today, Apple is telephone company.

Apple has abandoned the mid-range to high-end computer market. Simply abandoned it.

The void is waiting to be filled.

16. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

how so?

release macOS to run on any hardware.. therefore, more macs will be sold? by a large margin?

idk, maybe.. but not likely upon initial thought.

----
    however, i do believe BootCamp increased mac sales.

17. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

She said "that would increase mac market share by a LARGE margin".

If you make the minor jump to interpret this as "increase macOS market share by a LARGE margin" it makes a lot of sense.

Clearly Apple does not care about increasing Mac market share, otherwise they'd make Macs that people want to buy.

18. flat five, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

what are the numbers? (even if it's only the numbers you'd guess)

curious what 'much bigger' actually means here.

----
    but if it's something like 5.02 is much bigger than 5.0...
    hmm, maybe you're using the wrong adjectives up there ;)

(fwiw, that's my guess as to how much larger we're talking.. giving a not-so-conservative estimate of 200k hackintosh users and 50million mac users)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2017 ---
    if HP/Apple did a collaboration (macOS on Z-series).

would you buy/use one?

just curious.

----
    i personally don't think very many people are super interested in something like that.. in the big picture.

(i could be wrong of course and i'm just making guesses here.. tbh, i don't even really care about it either way ;) )

19. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Would I use one? Never.

Would I buy one? I'd order a dozen on day 1 if Nvidia GPUs were supported.

20. iamtheonlyone4ever, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

iamtheonlyone4ever Suspended

iamtheonlyone4ever

i can't say for sure, but if you go to a hackintosh forum you will find out that there are many hackintosh forums that have many members, like a said i can't give a # for sure but i'm sure that the # 200k is too low, i will say that there has to be at least 2 million hackintosh instead of just 200k, then again i don't know how many macs are out there but if windows 10 has 500 millions users and they had more than 90% of market share then how many macs will you need to make 5%.

50 millions?

when i said much bigger i was talking about a # higher than just the # of the real macs alone
    since i can't provide a # i used much bigger as an estimate
    what i meant was that is more than just the 5%
    maybe i would it have use the word "more" instead of the word much
    and not add the word "bigger" to avoid any misunderstanding

8% 10% i don't know but i do know that there are many hackintosh out there
    and we been around for more than 10 years already

nobody knows the exact #s

i like mac os and i like mac hardware, it looks high quality but the only problem that i have is that i like to customize my pc, add parts , remove parts upgrade etc

how can i add a water cooler to a mac? adding a water cooler is already a little hard to then have to customized a mac pro 5.1 case to be able to fit everything in there

the problem is not the money, i don't build a hackintosh because i can't afford a mac, my hackintosh is over 5,000 us dollars just the tower alone

i build a hackintosh because i want extreme performance using mac os
    can't wait for high sierra with native nmve support for my 4 samsung 960 pro

21. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

What do you use for your personal workstation?

22. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

But it wouldn't be a Mac Pro then, would it?

Throwing a few PC-components together in a spaceship looking box made for boys 12-21 years old, does not a Mac Pro make.

What you're talking about is a PC running MacOs. And that isn't even close to being the same thing.

23. ctrlzone thread starter macrumors regular

ctrlzone

you are right, thats not the same thing, because its not officially supported.
    a Hackintosh is a hassle to operate.

i like Alan Walkers idea of making your own hardware if you are serious about software.
    this makes sense in phones and other devices but i think the PC area does not.

theres so much more Software for PCs because macOS's tiny market share.

the thing is, Apple does not use spaceship technology in macs, these are just ordinary components.

24. Joe The Dragon macrumors 6502a

not with small caps and high roaming fees.