Best Mac Remote Desktop Solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barr08, Jul 31, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Oh Hi, fancy meeting you here!

I am constantly going to classes in computer labs, and require access to my desktop back in my room. Basically all of last year, my iMac stayed in XP :eek: because it was so darned easy to remote desktop from the XP boxes in the comp labs to my computer at home. This is the one thing I think MS does better than apple.

Or do they? Can any of you give me an equally-effective solution that will allow me to connect to my os x desktop?

Features that would be just super:
    • Printing directly from my os x desktop to the network printer hooked into the xp box I am on
    • Adjusts resolution to fit monitor
    • Snappy performance
    • Cutting and Pasting
    • File transfers
    • Runs in the background of OS X, and is always on
    The first two are of great importance.

Now I know what you may all be thinking, and yes, I have tried VNC. I do not like it anywhere near as much as I like remote desktop. It can't do many of the things I need, including most if not all of the things I have just listed. I specifically do not like the requirement of installing a client on the computers, even though I am a lab supervisor, and could get them all suited up with them at the beginning of the year (I hadn't even thought of that until now...)

Thanks for the read!

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "the xp box I am on"? Are you connecting Mac to Mac or Mac to Windows?

For Mac to Windows, you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop for native access from your Mac to an XP system.

3. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Sorry, I should be clearer when I ask these things.

I have to use Dells with XP on them at school, and I want an efficient way to connect to my OS X desktop in my room. This is all on the same network, because it is a college campus. I would like to avoid VNC, and would prefer to have as many of the things listed above available to me.