Best Macbook carry case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrPeanut, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I've looked all over the internet for a decent site that has something like a top ten of macbook pro cases. It's an important thing for many macbook owners but i cant find one anywhere. I was thinking of getting the iskin soho, but i dont want to order it if its no good. Should i just order it and realise that a case is a case and they're all the same? Is there a case that everyone agrees on in the macrumours forum?

Sorry if this is already been posted by the way, i searched for it but there wasnt really any definitave answer on which one to buy. Btw i have a 13 inch macbook pro.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just get a simple sleeve like the incase neoprene sleeves and then you can carry your notebook in any bag you want.

1. You won't be carrying an obvious laptop bag that thieves will notice
    2. You don't have to take your computer out of the sleeve to send through airport security.
    3. Sleeves are a lot cheaper than full bags.

3. RolandVet macrumors member

Check sfbags.com out. They have some (very) nice bags and sleeves.

4. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

There is no case everyone agrees on because the 'best' case depends on the user. I bought a Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell because it is a tank. A lot of people who need something just as robust but cheaper get a Booq Vyper. Other spend more on an Axio sleeve, and some are content with no drop protection and just buy a neoprene sleeve that only protects against scratches.
    It all depends on what you want to protect.

5. Panzo macrumors 6502

in real life falls there are no cases or sleeves that can protect from a fall some will protect a little and others will not protect at all but either way ur laptop will not withstand a 3+ feet fall in either case.

6. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I think it looks like i'm gonna go for the incase one. Its available on the UK apple store (lol nearly said app store then). I'm going to be carrying it in a messenger bag anyway to uni where the strap will go over my neck/shoulder so theres really no way it'll drop unless i fall over.

7. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

^ I really do not want to get into it, but I beg to differ. I think their are bags that can protect against a 3' drop and protect your computer. Plus, if anyone ever did drop their computer it would most likely be less than 3'.

Let's say I am holding my Tom Bihn case in my hand and I let go. The computer will drop about 3' onto a 1/4" plastic shell with 1/2" foam. But the laptop sits in a foam sling, so if I drop it straight down the case absorbs the fall, the computer pushes down on the sling and doesn't hit anything and then it can fall lightly to either side onto the foam and plastic padding.

8. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Unfortunately I'm unable to place their sleeve in a cart. Is this a problem with the site or am I stupid?

9. MrPeanut thread starter macrumors regular

I guess there's only one way of proving that. Go drop your laptop in the bag and film it and put it on youtube to see the results

10. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I'd prefer not to test that myself, but their is a review from a guy on Tom Bihn's website that claims his computer flew off a tank in Iraq and the computer was just fine, even though he woke up in a hospital. I think tanks are like 5-6' high.

11. Panzo macrumors 6502

my bad let me elaborate, lets say the bag lands somehow magically on its back or standing up straight then somehow maybe it wont get damaged.
    but honestly speaking if the bag or sleeve lands on its corner from 3 feet i can guarantee you it wont survive, i knwo because its happened im on my fourth laptop, this time i take the necessary precautions, i have a booq vyper m3 case (hardbody) and i put it in a laptop bag which is generously padded but even at that im sure that if i were to drop it and land it on its corner there would be considerable damage.

12. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000