Best MacBook Casing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hyde244, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hyde244 macrumors member

Hyde244

Hey there guys,

I have been at college for just under 2 quarters now and my MacBook has taken a good deal of wear, already having the top screen casing bowing a bit.

So, in an effort to ensure that this laptop makes it through college with me, I'm trying to look into good MacBook casings.

So does anyone have suggestions with MacBook casing?

2. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

3. Hyde244 thread starter macrumors member

Hyde244

Just the original casing, nothing protective.

I don't believe in safe practices I guess. :rolleyes:

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would recommend the Incase Hardshell.

[​IMG]
    I'll probably get one as soon as they are available in UK Apple Stores.

5. kerotab macrumors member

kerotab

I got my hardshell case on ebay and works great on my macbook. I don't know what brand it is but it's a lot cheaper than buying it anywhere else

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I second the Incase Hardshell. I just installed it and it fits perfectly, has a great feel to it, looks great.

7. cthomet macrumors regular

is a case even worth it? i mean how much better is it than a sleeve if you are careful with it?

8. Hyde244 thread starter macrumors member

Hyde244

Well, the problem with a sleeve is it is one more thing to unzip and unpack.

I have a laptop backpack which the MacBook travels in every day, and am simply looking for something which can withstand the wear and tear of everyday usage while carrying it around campus.

Frankly, I cannot guarantee I will always be careful with it, as I am on the go a lot.

This is why the hardshell looks the best as it is always protecting, very durable, and easy to use.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

How much thicker does the Incase hardshell make the computer?

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Is is amazing how well this fits the Macbook. It adds very little thickness. The cutouts are perfect for the Adapater, USB, etc...

Here is a thread on the case, with pics of it on my Blackbook. With the case on, I can still get it into my Incase Neoprene Sleeve. It is a tight fit, but it does go in.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446097&highlight=incase

11. cthomet macrumors regular

ya i guess the hardshell would protect against scratches and such, and if you had a sleeve that could help protect against the minor bumps of carrying it around in a backpack

12. mhweiler macrumors newbie

incase hardshell

Just snapped mine on. Looks and works great! You can barely tell its there.

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I agree. It is a well made product. I love the rubberized feel of it. It fits the Macbook perfectly.

14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Looks Nice

Hmmm. I might get that... Snapping that on to my MacBook and slapping it in my carrying case should cut it for protection. If only there was a way to stop thieves, too.

15. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

How does it affect the maximum screen recline angle? That's my only worry.

16. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Does dust, etc.. get trapped in the case. Could it scratch the MacBook?

I am getting interested in this as well.

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It doesn't affect it at all. I was concerned also until I tried it out in the store. Here is mine from the side open.

Attached Files:

• IC6.jpg
      IC6.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
  18. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The case fits VERY snug, I can't imagine anything getting into, and under the case. The only place where there is any opening is where the vent holes are on the bottom.

Attached Files:

• IC2.jpg
      IC2.jpg
      File size:
      126.8 KB
      Views:
  19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'm very close to buying a black Incase for my white Macbook. I think it would look like this:

...but slightly thicker.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You would be amazed on how little it adds to the thickness. I think the Black case on the White Macbook would look great. And, you can still see the Apple Logo with the case on.

Attached Files:

• IC5.jpg
      IC5.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  21. AnonymousOne macrumors regular

Any Suggestion For A Case In The UK As I Cant Find That Case Anywhere

22. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I am using a Case-Mate leather case in Sienna Red Cobblestone Italian leather for my Mac Book.I have a Case-Mate Case for my i-Touch as well. Totally protects my MB, and looks awesome doing it. I highly recommend Case-Mate:apple:

23. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would recommend waiting for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will definitely be on sale in UK Apple stores before the end of the month. Well I hope so, as I am waiting to buy one too. :)

I just sent them an email to ask about UK availability, so when they reply I will re-edit this post with the details.

24. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Very nice. I guess I'll need to set some money aside and order one of these. I'm always paranoid about my Macbook and I'm not all that sure about the cheaper plastic cases on ebay.

Thanks!

25. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I just want to mention this: I just got my hardshell case today for my black macbook and put it on. I also have a white macbook to compare it to. Although you can tilt the screen past 90 degrees, it does not go to its full reclining angle. I was fiddling with the bottom case for 30 minutes trying to slide it under the hooks of the vent properly. I took it on and off about 7 times. After I finally figured that I had it installed correctly I took a protractor and measured it up against the white macbook. This is what I found about how far the screen reclines:

White Macbook (no hardshell case) ~ 142 degrees
    Black Macbook (with hardshel case) ~ 138 degrees

Although its only 4 degrees, it is a noticeable difference when comparing it to another machine. The macbook is still very well usable with the hardshell case on and you will only miss the 4 degrees of incline when you are using the macbook on the ground in front of you or in similar positions. Your viewing angle will not be hindered if you are using the macbook on a desk or on your lap.

Just a side note, I have the invisible shield installed on the white macbook and tried installing the incase hardshell case but the bottom case didn't seem to fit right, although it did fit.