Best MacBook for Me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NbinHD, Jun 21, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Ive decided that im going to buy a new macbook rather than a iMac, simply because i think that the 21.5'' iMac's screen is too small and the 27'' iMac's screen is too big, so i think im going to buy a 24'' dell and a macbook air combo. Now with the recent release of the next gen consoles (xbox one and ps4) im not entirely happy with what they have to offer, and i cannot justify buying a $500+ console just for playing 2 games that im looking forward to, COD Ghosts and GTA V. So i thought i would kill two birds with one stone, so ive got a couple of options;

Option a) 2013 11'' Macbook Air - 8gb ram, possible i7 upgrade.
    Option b) 2013 13'' Macbook Air - 8gb ram, possible i7 upgrade = $150 extra compared to 11''.
    Option c) 2013 rmbp 13'' baseline - would this be the worst option even if it has a Iris 5100, because simply the amount of pixels it has to push compared to a non retina macbook or could i just lower the resolution and get better performance.

The only time the laptop would be used as a laptop would be when being used in bed, which isnt very frequently.
    P.S - I will also use the computer for parallels 8 and plan to game in bootcamp. What do you think is the best option guys? Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not using the best feature of the MBA (the portability) and you state its rarely going to move then the MBA may not be the best choice imo.

I'd go with an MBP because it offers superior performance, the non retina model has some more expansion capability that the rMBP doesn't have.

Why not get the 21" iMac? You're buying a 21" monitor and the computer is mostly going to be sitting on the desk. You can always get an iPad for those times you wish to surf the net or email in your bed as you mention.

3. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

+1
    If you don't need a portable device don't "waste" money, buy a desktop (or the mac equivalent iMac/mac mini) instead!

BTW. Is GTA V even going to be released for PC?

4. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok well, i guess i have to wait until the next gen iMacs and Mac Mini's, the problem is as stated in my original post, the iMac 21.5'' is too small, the 27'' is too big. That leaves the Mac Mini, hoping that will have HD5000, if not discontinued. Im also guessing that GTA V will be released for PC, maybe later but im 80% sure, they would lose a lot of potential customers if they didnt.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean too small?

You were looking to buy a 21" dell monitor which is the same size as the iMac, and the MBA itself has a much smaller screen :confused:

6. Grohowiak macrumors member

Grohowiak

Hook a 24" screen to the imac, set it up as primary screen and voila.
    Still better option than laptop.

7. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

24'' dell monitor, and would use the MBA as a secondary display. The reason i ask is because i would prefer to buy a product that already has the specs that i want or that Apple can do so when i can get it i just can use it not have to install to components and than sell them or have them laying around, ill have to buy a new ssd for the mac mini and a 256gb ssd for the imac 21.5'' is too much unneeded space for me.