Best MacBook for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjbish, Nov 11, 2014.

1. tjbish macrumors newbie

Ok I've always used a windows laptop but I'm tired of them lasting me two years at max usually with performance dropping after a year.

So I don't feel like dropping over a grand for a laptop so I was looking at used MacBooks mostly on eBay and have noticed I could get a used MacBook pro 2011/2012 for around 600 or if I want to spend even less a 2009 for around 500.

The laptop will be used for general internet browsing, school work, torrenting, and iTunes. I torrent a lot of movies and shows along with streaming on websites. I have an external hdd for this so not concerned with storage space.

I'm just wondering what the best laptop would be for me. I want a 13 inch screen don't need the 15 inch. I want it to last me awhile without any performance drop. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not set on a pro or air I'd even consider the 11 inch screen. I'm comfortable with making upgrades myself if it would save me money.

Thanks for all the help

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

For what you mentioned get the Air. I have an 11 and a 13 and they are plenty powerful enough and light as hell. You get new with the warranty.
    OR, what I do, is buy refurbished from apple. I dislike buying computers off E-Bay or other sites. Same warranty, and all I have bought look like new.
    Right now a2014 11" Air is 769 and has 128GB HD, 4GB RAM.
    Good luck with your search.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

3. tjbish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks only thing i dislike about the air is the no HDMI ports. Also does an Air have same life span as a Pro?

I wish Apple kept the RAM user upgradeable.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Be sure you are aware of the GPU problems on 2011 MBPs. It would be bad to buy one and have it die a few months later.

5. tjbish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you was just reading about them. Does it occur in 13'' models too? Saw somewhere it was only the 15" models.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No the 13 is fine

No dGPU in the 13 so its fine from that point of view any one will do get the newest you can afford and stick an ssd in it it'll fly, my old 2010 is still my brothers main computer.

7. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I have an air and can say that although it is a small inconvenience to not have an HDMI, I am pleased with the adapter apple sells as it works nicely to go from the display port to an HDMI. I completely agree about the RAM but i do find that 4GB is enough for my uses (very similar to what you described).

I would also agree with a previous post about getting a refurb from apple (although Ebay is not necessarily a problem if you know what you are looking for). Main advantage of apple is getting a guaranteed (virtually new) computer with warranty and the option of apple care. I love my 13 in. air and it is perfect for what you described.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

For that price range I would go with an Air and buy the thunderbolt cable for HDMI output. OS X does run great on 4gb of ram for the tasks you described. You will notice less of a performance degradation vs. windows machines but 4gb is 4gb so don't expect it to be a beast for lack of better terms.

9. tjbish thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go with an air it will be a 2014 since older ones do not have the great battery. If I go with a pro I wanna shoot for a 2012 but would settle for older if a great deal.

So the 13in 2011 pro is okay to buy, no GPU issues on them?

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The 2013 has the same battery life as 2014 and can be picked up fairly cheap, also look at the neet mini display port to HDMI cable I have had one for 4 years and it's brilliant and just one cable no adapter necessary...

11. tjbish thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the opinion guys. I won a 2012 13inch pro on eBay for 680 with upgraded 8gb ram and 250gb ssd.

Thought it was a good deal and didn't want to pass on it. Hopefully it works out good. Was set on getting a 2013 or 2014 air too until I seen that deal.

Do you think I made a good choice?

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think that was a pretty good deal. Do you know if it was the i5 or i7? That i7 has a clock speed of 2.9GHz which is pretty damn fast for single core processes.

13. tjbish thread starter macrumors newbie

i5 still think it was a good deal. Don't think I need the extra power. Was never looking for an i7

14. Mr.Skynet macrumors newbie

Mr.Skynet

If you have your heart set on a macbook pro 13inch you could look for a used 2012 or 2011. My last Mac was a 13inch 2011 and I loved that thing. RAM is upgradeable and the i5 made it quick. Preferably get one with an SSD that will guarantee you get the maximum amount of performance for many more years. Once you go SSD you never go back :cool: