Best MacBook For Under $1000

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfitz7111, Apr 15, 2011.

1. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I currently have a white 2009 MacBook, 8GB RAM/250 GB HD, to someone that I know out of the country for $800. Apple products are hard to come by in his country, and import tax on technology is high, so we both feel we are getting a great deal.

With that being said, what is the best MacBook for under $1000?

My candidates are refurbed:

11" MacBook Air, standard set up, 1.4 C2D 2GB/64 SSD for $849

13" MacBook Air (previous generation), 1.86 C2D, 2GB/120GB for $849

13" MacBook Pro (previous generation), 2.4 C2D, 4GB/250GB for $929

If I had to buy one TODAY, I think I would go with the Pro. But I would love to hear people's feedback of those who have had 2 or all 3 of these machines, and their opinions on them.

Many thanks.

I use my MacBook mostly for email, Safari, Pages/Word, Numbers/Excel, I have in the past done some iMovie work on, as well as HandBrake.

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

If portability and weight is the biggest issue for you then the Air should be enough for your uses, although iMovie might be a little rough. I would personally go for the Pro. I have a 2011 13" and love it. The 2010 will handle all of your use without breaking stride. If you're interested and have a Microcenter nearby, they are selling the base 2011 13" i5 for $999 which seems to be the best deal going right now.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Keep your current White MacBook if you can; you may actually see a speed decrease with those listed. If you want to get one of them, I would get the 13 inch MBP due to more RAM, a faster CPU, and the Superdrive.

The 2009 and 2010 MacBook Pros are in all respects the same thing, with almost identical processors, similar graphics capability, same RAM, similar hard drives, identical screens, and identical software.

4. cfitz7111 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip on MicroCenter, there are two within driving distance of me, one in North Jersey, one in Philly.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If it were me, I would opt for the 11" Air (though I'd try and fit the 128GB/4GB version into the budget), because it's a sweet little machine that meets my needs. And I have an external monitor at home.

The Pro will be faster for iMovie and Hanbrake, so it depends on how much of that stuff you plan on doing.

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Second on the Micro Center deal...currently typing on one. :)

7. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Me too. We have a similar setup technopimp - did you ever fix your issue?

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Don't get a previous generation Air whatever you do. The 11" Air is very nice but I just can't recommend a Mac with 2GB of ram. 4 GB should be standard. I really don't know what Apple was thinking here. So would have to recommend the 13" MBP. Plus since cost is a concern to you the MBP will last you longer since you can upgrade disk and have more ports for external expandability . Not sure about memory because I don't know if this model MBP will go to 8 GB.