Best macbook pro 15" case for college?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GreenStripe, Jul 25, 2009.

1. GreenStripe macrumors member

I'm looking for something that will give my macbook a lot of protection, but will have enough room to fit a couple textbooks as well. I have a swiss gear bag right now, but the laptop slot isn't big enough, so a lot of the top pokes out.. :\ I've been looking at everything from rickshaw bags to some kind of neoprene + bag combination. What do you think?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink you should search via mroogle.

I'd recommend either STM, Chrome, Incase or timbuk2 for the bag. And ColcaSac for the sleeve.

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Get a sleeve and a decent backpack with a separate laptop compartment. Best Way to go IMO.

4. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

Colcasac looks amazing. Just checking, but do you know if the 15" MBP option will fit the unibody ones, or is it designed for the older 15" MBP? I know incase didn't change their sizes, so it's a bit loose and allows a lot of unwanted wiggle room :\

5. hyroboarder macrumors member

I also will need a bag for college in the fall. I'm looking into North Face packs, I have had one for about 10 years and they are very sturdy. As for the sleeves, those colcapacks look pretty nice

6. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

so ideally, I'd like to get a rickshaw bag, but they are just too expensive. Does anyone know if I have a sleeve on my macbook pro, can I just throw it into the skinny commuter bag? Maybe then i'd be able to afford one, but $180 is just crazy.

So right now i'm looking at a colcasac + a backpack... Good idea?

7. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Swiss Gear Synergy Backpack

I use a Swiss Gear Synergy backpack for my last two 15" MBPs. No additional sleeve, as it has a substantially padded space for the laptop. I have packed it with 40+ pounds of computer, camera, and work crap and the padded, shock-absorbing shoulder straps are still comfortable. It has twelve-plus compartments and two water bottle holders, so you can organize to your hearts content, and even a pass-through grommet for your headphones so you can keep your iPod safely inside your pack while you walk. They're around $70 these days, I think.

8. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

So, I'm looking at backpacks and I don't like how nothing really prevents books from leaning on your mac... Is it just me, or doest hat make anyone else feel a bit uncomfortable? Oh, and I've heard some quite bad things about the colcasac so that put a stop to that idea :\

9. GreenStripe thread starter macrumors member

right now i'm leaning towards a $160 messenger bag from rickshaw. I like hoe it always stays up, so nothing leans on the actual mac, and the whole thing looks pretty sturdy. Is there anything cheaper that provides a similar product?

10. theimacdude macrumors member

theimacdude

11. gavin83209 macrumors regular

They demoed the ColcaSac with a Unibody in the above link, but I can't tell if that is a 13" or a 15" MBP.

Link

12. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

booq makes some great bags, I have a Crumpler right now which is extremely durable and worth the high price but had a hard time choosing between it and a booq bag. Check out:

BOA SLIMCASE M90 http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/15mbp/Boa-slimcase-M90

BOA SLIMCASE M http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/15mbp/Boa-slimcase-M

TAIPAN PACK BLACK http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/15mbp/Taipan-pack-black

Pair any of those with a TAIPAN SKIN M http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/15mbp/Taipan-skin-M-black

I would have gone with a TAIPAN PACK if it was available when I bought my Crumpler. I love my bag but the TAIPAN is cheaper and booq's reputation for quality is on par with Crumpler. I do however have the TAIPAN SKIN and it works great.