Best MacBook Pro 17" unibody hard case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 25, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Anyone can suggest the best hardshell case? I don't know what is the best out there, in terms of fit, quality, features, etc.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Ironically, I just want to protect the macbook pro from scratches and slight bumps. Obviously, it's not the mother of all protectors from drops and I think if you do drop this thing even with the best case on it, the MBP will definitely feel it. :D

Right now, I don't know what features to look for or what makes one hardcase better over the other. Incase versus Speck, etc..

Thanks for the link, I will definitely look into this.

Anyone here know anything about the Rhino cases? I know they are more case like than actual protectors or you know what I mean. :confused:

4. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I have the speck seethru satin for my unibody mbp, fits very well and looks great, only issue is the notebook lock is kinda hard to use with the case on, due to the thickness added
    Otherwise very nice hard-shell. I'd compliment with padded bag or sleeve

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Do these covers cause any heat retention issues by insulating the metal body of the laptop?

Also can anyone remember that company that made the cases for iphones out of the reactive rubber stuff? It somehow hardens instantly when impacted hard and this process absorbs the impact. I wondered if they had made covers for laptops yet.

6. eswank macrumors 6502

I have to agree with was said ^. I bought the Speck Case from their site before Halloween because they were have a 50% sale on all cases with Halloween colors. The black one looks really nice on my 17".

7. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

There are no heat issues with my speck, everything vents nicely (most I've peaked is about 71C, using 99% of my 4gb ram, working in windows 7 via parallels 5 on revit 2010, Illustrator CS4, Rhino 4 Beta and firefox on my mac side, or when rendering, other than that stays about normal)

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The Speck is great and saved my 15" from damage when I dropped it on my driveway from waist height. Because it has more air between the inside of the case and the computer, when compared to the Incase, its more likely to absorb damage instead of immediately denting the computer. That additional air also means that dirt that gets between the case and the computer, both can suffer form this, is less likely to scratch the computer.

The soft-touch surface does make it harder to slide into sleeves, but they also make a smooth surface case as well. That kind of smooth surface will scratch far easier than the soft-touch surface.

I have no experience with the incase, but I would choose Speck again without question.