Best MacBook Pro display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

I am planning to get a MacBook Pro soon for my video editing work, but I also want to use a display with it. I have used an iMac for a long time, but it is time to hang the iMac's jersey from the rafters and get a new one. I still want to be able to work at my desk with a big display and use the portability aspect when I am on the go. I like the Apple Thunderbolt display, since it has a webcam built in, speakers, and it integrates well with the Mac. However, the price is ridiculous, it has not been updated in a long time, and people report many problems with it. What is a comparable display, with similar all-in-one type features, same size, but at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want a 3rd party Thunderbolt display.....never heard of one. You can buy Thunderbolt docks and many different excellent external monitors such as from Dell. But an integrated monitor and Thunderbolt display.....you have to go to Apple..

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/displays/

3. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

That's mostly correct.

There are non-Apple TB-capable monitors which serve as "pseudo" TB docking stations....I'm using one right now. LG 34UM95. You can daisy-chain TB devices off it. Other manufacturers have these.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Which ones provide MagSafe charging cable plus TB cable, Ethernet, USB 2 or 3, FW ( can't believe anyone still wants it), mic, speakers, FaceTime camera? Some might provide part, but I doubt any other monitor provides all.

5. larrysing1963, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015

larrysing1963 macrumors regular

None provide "all" which is why I used the term "pseudo" :apple:

Although is someone has their heart set on a TB display, they can generally be found refurbed from Apple for $799, so they can still be acquired for a semi-reasonable price, assuming a person needs EVERY item available on the built-in docking system.